• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition To Terminate Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgmidget

Michigan: My grandaughter was removed from her mother's home and placed with us 14 months ago. The mother's boyfriend went to jail for child abuse and the mother was charged with child neglect (she pleaded to neglect on dental care). I had to get the child's teeth fixed which amounted in 5 of them being pulled and 4 had to be filled (all baby teeth as she was only 5 years old at the time). The mother attended parenting classes, counseling, etc. She tested positive on a drug test and has had numerous tests since - all negative. She was recently told to attend drug counseling due to the results of a screening. The results of the screening have been released to me and it is amazing at how she lied. I can get witnesses to prove the lies and I need to know if this is a basis to file a petition to terminate her parental rights. I have also documented all the supervised visits and phone calls with the daughter. FIA thinks that this behavior is normal and I do not agree with them. A child should not come home in such a mean state of mind just because she missed her mother. It all adds up to harming the child's mental well-being. Since the mother has done nearly everything FIA asked her to do they are looking at a return home in approximately 1 month so I wish to file this petition soon. I need to know who to contact and what evidence I need. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

knd2517

mgmidget said:
Michigan: My grandaughter was removed from her mother's home and placed with us 14 months ago. The mother's boyfriend went to jail for child abuse and the mother was charged with child neglect (she pleaded to neglect on dental care). I had to get the child's teeth fixed which amounted in 5 of them being pulled and 4 had to be filled (all baby teeth as she was only 5 years old at the time). The mother attended parenting classes, counseling, etc. She tested positive on a drug test and has had numerous tests since - all negative. She was recently told to attend drug counseling due to the results of a screening. The results of the screening have been released to me and it is amazing at how she lied. I can get witnesses to prove the lies and I need to know if this is a basis to file a petition to terminate her parental rights. I have also documented all the supervised visits and phone calls with the daughter. FIA thinks that this behavior is normal and I do not agree with them. A child should not come home in such a mean state of mind just because she missed her mother. It all adds up to harming the child's mental well-being. Since the mother has done nearly everything FIA asked her to do they are looking at a return home in approximately 1 month so I wish to file this petition soon. I need to know who to contact and what evidence I need. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
What exactly is she lying about? You said the drug screens are all negative so she's not using, she's following all the orders for reunification. What is she lying about?

If she is following the orders of the court, and she is testing negative for drugs then they probably will give the child back to her. She's the mom and it's extremely difficult to get custody from a bio parent unless found unfit. They are not going to find her unfit if she has done what she was supposed to do.

KND

mgmidget

The Lies

She lied right from the start - said the boyfriend didn't do anything. He went to jail for a year! In all the drug screenings she said she needed to smoke pot for an eating disorder and to sleep. One screening she states all the drugs she tried and was addicted to and all of a sudden the only thing she ever did was smoke pot. She went by ambulance to the hospital for alcohol poisoning just this past May. Said she only had two drinks and blood alcohol level was 181 - she could of been dead! Funny that she told everyone that her whole family has some type of drug problem except her. Every boyfriend she ever had sexually abused her - they all have something to say about that. She is 26 and has been married three times already. The first was for a weekend and the second was for 8 days. OH, and I should be thankful that she now found someone to support her and she doesn't have to work - long track record of not holding a job. And what if the guy drops dead tomorrow! This child is 6 years old and has lived in 9 different places because of non payment of rent. Fourteen months with us is the longest she lived in one place her whole life. The boyfriend in jail gets out in November - she decided to get married and move so as to hide (her words). There's no hiding in Northern Michigan - everyone knows everyone for miles around. For forteen months she's been telling her daughter that she will be coming home soon. Meanwhile she up and found a new boyfriend - married after only two months. Stated that my husband and I don't deserve a thank you for taking care of her daughter for all this time. She thinks she should get her daughter back because she belongs to her. Children are not posessions - they are people and deserve to be treated as such. My daughter has a long track record of lying and manipulating to get what she wants and this child should not grow up in the same shoes.

LdiJ

mgmidget said:
She lied right from the start - said the boyfriend didn't do anything. He went to jail for a year! In all the drug screenings she said she needed to smoke pot for an eating disorder and to sleep. One screening she states all the drugs she tried and was addicted to and all of a sudden the only thing she ever did was smoke pot. She went by ambulance to the hospital for alcohol poisoning just this past May. Said she only had two drinks and blood alcohol level was 181 - she could of been dead! Funny that she told everyone that her whole family has some type of drug problem except her. Every boyfriend she ever had sexually abused her - they all have something to say about that. She is 26 and has been married three times already. The first was for a weekend and the second was for 8 days. OH, and I should be thankful that she now found someone to support her and she doesn't have to work - long track record of not holding a job. And what if the guy drops dead tomorrow! This child is 6 years old and has lived in 9 different places because of non payment of rent. Fourteen months with us is the longest she lived in one place her whole life. The boyfriend in jail gets out in November - she decided to get married and move so as to hide (her words). There's no hiding in Northern Michigan - everyone knows everyone for miles around. For forteen months she's been telling her daughter that she will be coming home soon. Meanwhile she up and found a new boyfriend - married after only two months. Stated that my husband and I don't deserve a thank you for taking care of her daughter for all this time. She thinks she should get her daughter back because she belongs to her. Children are not posessions - they are people and deserve to be treated as such. My daughter has a long track record of lying and manipulating to get what she wants and this child should not grow up in the same shoes.
I understand how you feel, but the bottom line is that the courts and child services have apparently already decided that the child is to be returned to her mother, because her mother did what she was supposed to do.

You could try hiring an attorney, but you would be asking the courts to terminate her parental rights when the courts have already decided NOT to do that. That would be a very difficult, and potentially expensive battle to fight.

mgmidget

Yes this is the daughter making false allegations

Michigan
She continues the same old pattern. A few years ago she accused her "girlfriend" of molesting her own daughter because she was mad at her. That incident was investigated and dropped. The children were sent home on September 3, 2005 and once again removed from the home on October 3, 2005 for allegations of child abuse and neglect.

Last edited:

Just Blue

mgmidget said:
Michigan
She continues the same old pattern. A few years ago she accused her "girlfriend" of molesting her own daughter because she was mad at her. That incident was investigated and dropped. The children were sent home on September 3, 2005 and once again removed from the home on October 3, 2005 for allegations of child abuse and neglect.

Poor kids! Good luck...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">