• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladyinparda

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

1. Can grandparents (dad's parents) take the kids away from the mom, with the consent of dad only? 2. Can the in-laws barge in the house and verbally abuse the woman, because her husband pays the rent? 3. So in these scenarios what is the best legal step to take?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

1. Can grandparents (dad's parents) take the kids away from the mom, with the consent of dad only? 2. Can the in-laws barge in the house and verbally abuse the woman, because her husband pays the rent? 3. So in these scenarios what is the best legal step to take?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Call the police and don't let them take your children.

Isis1

who are you in this situation?

is dad allowing his parents visit with the kids? are mom and dad still living in the same home? or in seperate homes?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are the parents of the children in question still married? Do they still live together? Are there any court orders in place with regard to the residence and/or the children?

ladyinparda

I am the mother, and yes me and my husband (kids' dad) live together, no there are no court orders, kids get to see grandparents once in a month at their house!

Isis1

I am the mother, and yes me and my husband (kids' dad) live together, no there are no court orders, kids get to see grandparents once in a month at their house!
then in this case, if dad says they can go, there is nothing that states you can over rule that. you can however show up at their house and retrieve the children.

but seriously? are you trying to play a game? you have serious issues you need to work out. with your marriage.

Zigner

Nothing illegal occurred - it sounds to me as if dad gave permission. Perhaps you need to work things out with your husband...one way or another.

Zigner

then in this case, if dad says they can go, there is nothing that states you can over rule that.
Actually, she doesn't have to release them - she has just as much right to not let the kids go as the hubby has to give his permission.

ladyinparda

right, me n my husband do have issues that need to be worked out, but his parents coming to our house and acting like as if they own MY CHILDREN does NOT help at all! I wonder what rights do they (grandparents) have when it comes to that, I do let my kids go to see them monthly!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I agree with Zig. Why do you all feel Mom has to follow Dad's decision that his parents get the children against her wishes?

mistoffolees

Actually, she doesn't have to release them - she has just as much right to not let the kids go as the hubby has to give his permission.
I agree.

HOWEVER, they are setting themselves up for a potentially violent situation - and even without violence, the kids are going to be dragged into the middle of a hostile family battle. I would strongly urge them all to sit down and work out something that they can agree to - rather than just fighting about who can legally do what.

What's your objection to the grandparents seeing the kids? How often does this happen?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">