• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help - granddaughters in danger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mimi46

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana, children are in Florida

I know many of you weren't helpful last time, but I am hoping that the few people who were can help me out.

I received word that my estranged son and his girlfriend are to be married soon, and they will start the adoption proceedings after that. I also heard from the same person (his cousin) that they are not taking care of the granddaughter that was in my care's medical needs are not being taken care of. They have claimed that the school board reevaluated her and dismissed her from special education. This child was diagnosed with 5 different severe disorders while she was in my care. Either they lied to the doctors and school board or they are lying to his cousin and not taking care of her.

His oldest daughter - the one who I still have contact with because he abandoned her after she took my side (she and the other girls have different mothers) - told me and her mother that he and his girlfriend frequently did not have enough food in the house, did not have a bed for her to stay in, and would often leave her at home alone with the 7 year old while they went out and got drunk.

The judge who will be hearing the adoption proceedings needs to hear all of this. I also want to know if this changes my chances for visitation. I did read that when one parent's rights are terminated, grandparents have the right to visitation even after an adoption happens.

What kind of papers do I file with the court to protest the adoption? And how can I get the judge to grant me visitation rights if the adoption does go through? Does any of this help me file for custody again, this time for both granddaughters?

Please help. I miss them tremendously.

Proserpina

No and no.

Look. Unless your son is declared legally unfit, there is absolutely no reason for you to even file for custody. You have no standing.

And if he was that bad, CPS would have been involved - correct?

Also...the kids are in Florida, yes?

You have virtually no chance at obtaining ANY sort of visitation rights. Period.

mistoffolees

I read your other thread. I don't see anyone mistreated you. They simply provided advice that you didn't like.

As for the rest, the same advice that applied last time applies now:

1. Parents have a Constitutional right to their children. Grandparents do not. You have to have overwhelming evidence to overcome that.

2. You've stated repeatedly that the child is in danger. Yet you haven't provided anything but hearsay. Kids often make up stories to manipulate their elders. Unless you have REAL evidence, don't waste the court's time filing anything.

3. If the children are in danger as you repeatedly assert, why haven't you called CPS? They will come out and investigate.

4. Any child diagnosed with '5 different severe disorders' should have been hospitalized. Why didn't you do so? Maybe you should be locked up for endangering the child? Or maybe the child is OK now that she has appropriate adult supervision?

If the child really does belong in special education, then the school system will figure that out in no time. If the children are abused or neglected, then report it - or the school will. As it is, there's no evidence of anything but a hysterical grandmother. You tried to keep your son from his own daughters for no reason except that you don't like the fact that he's dating someone much younger than he is. You even sued him for custody - with a case so feeble that it was thrown out without even a full hearing.

The court has ruled against you and the son has every right to have his own kids back. I would suggest that :
1. It's long past time for you to start being a positive influence in the situation rather than adversarial. If you ever want to see your grandchildren again, you'd better start working on a BIG apology - and stop the nonsense.
2. If there is ever evidence that the children are in danger, call CPS. That's all you need to do. Get the idea of suing for custody again out of your head.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">