• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momof3boysNC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I apologize in advance for this being lengthy I want to make sure I give all information possible.

In October of 2009 My husband and I signed a Power of Attorney for the Care of Minor Children and asked my Mom-In-Law to temporarily physically care for our 3 children due to financial hardships and an eviction from our residence. My husband had a job opportunity 3 hours from where my MIL lived and we were not going to be locally available to take care of medical and school related things so she was going to need something giving her authorization to handle those things. We had sat down and verbally discussed everything and decided on the POA because I was not comfortable giving her actual custody and a POA in NC is supposed to be revocable by the Principle (in the case my husband and I) at any time for any reason. The original plan was for the arrangement to only be for a few months however things did not progress as quickly as we had hoped and it has now been nearly 2 years but we are finally financially able to care for our kids again.

Prior to signing the POA all parties involved (my MIL, my husband and myself) sat down and verbally discussed and agreed on everything, things she wanted to see us accomplish prior to taking the kids back (jobs & suitable residence). However at the time of signing when we met her at the notary office (POA's do not have to be filed with the court in NC) she brought the papers in and had added a sheet to the back she typed up and called

"Power of Attorney Termination Criteria"

*One or both parents are gainfully employed and have been employed by the same employer for a period of time to show permanent employment

*Parents have provided adequate housing for the children

*Parents are able to provide children with all necessities IE: medicine, clothes,food and expenses related to school & extracurricular activities.

*Mother has learned to drive and has obtained a drivers license as to be able to pick the kids up from school if sick, take them to Drs. appointments, get them in sports, scouts or outside activity of the children's choice and be able to take them to and from said activities

The POA form we used was purchased off a legal website and is an official legal form, the "termination criteria" is not a legal form and was something the MIL invented herself. On the legal POA form where you put in the dates of effect she had put in the accurate start date but for the end date she put "see page 5" which is the "termination criteria" page.

We were forced to sign the POA with the attached paper under duress. We had already sent all of the kids belongings to the MIL's house, everything else was in storage, and our car was packed with what little belongings we had to stay at a hotel in the town where my husband had a job opportunity. The MIL was paying for the hotel and the conditions of her doing so was we sign the POA. If we did not sign it the way it was with the added form she was not going to pay for the hotel and keep the children and my husband, myself and my children would be without any where to go.

We have met all of the agreements except obtaining my drivers license. My husband and I both have had jobs for 6 months, we have maintained a suitable residence large enough for the kids for 6 months, can financially provide for the kids, and have made transportation arrangements with neighbors and friends for carpooling the kids to activities, and I can take a cab for drs. appts.

My MIL is refusing to return the kids stating that we have to have our jobs for at least a year (even though no specific time was given in the termination criteria), and that I have to have my license. My license was never verbally discussed prior to signing and would not under ordinary circumstances have ever been agreed to as a stipulation.

My questions are first, does the "Termination Criteria" trump my ability to revoke at any time even prior to a stated ending date (as stated by NC law). Secondly, can she use the POA to file for custody under abandonment without our knowledge since she has been caring for the kids for more than 6 months.

The POA doesn't have to be filed with the courts to be legal in NC and to my knowledge hasn't been, it has been notarized however.

ecmst12

Go pick up your children. Grandma has no legal right to prevent it, she does not have even temporary custody. Even if you don’t revoke the POA that doesn't give her custody. I do hope it hasn't been 2 years since you have seen them, though.

momof3boysNC

We have seen them a few times but MIL has made visits difficult, with a 3 hour drive plans need to be arranged and she keeps the kids very active on weekends with church and scouts activities so just showing up isn't feasible since she's never home. We do regularly speak on the phone however.

As for my license there is nothing legally preventing me from getting my license. I have a severe phobia of driving, I have tried to learn several times but I go into panic attacks. I have difficulties even being a passenger in a car. I would be a risk to other drivers, myself and my children if she forces me to get my license.
(Yes I know how silly it sounds to be that scared of driving :eek: )

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As for my license there is nothing legally preventing me from getting my license. I have a severe phobia of driving, I have tried to learn several times but I go into panic attacks. I have difficulties even being a passenger in a car. I would be a risk to other drivers, myself and my children if she forces me to get my license.
(Yes I know how silly it sounds to be that scared of driving :eek: )
It doesn't sound silly, but I have to wonder what you've done about overcoming the phobia. My ex had a tremendous fear of flying - to the point where I refused to fly with him. He HAD to fly for business, so he ended up taking flying lessons to understand the dynamics and conquer his fear. Perhaps you should consider seeing a therapist to help you work through it.

ecmst12

I have a friend that had a fear of driving for years, because she had lost a brother in an accident when she was a child. She FINALLY got her license this year, after her 3rd child, in her mid-20's....and she is so happy of the freedom she has now! I would say that conquering your fear will be totally worth it. But don't let any of that stop you from picking up your children.

momof3boysNC

Hopefully, your mother-in-law will never lift a finger to help you again.
You make it sound as though I am ungrateful. I am very grateful to my mother in law for taking care of my children, I know she has provided them with a good home and stability during a time when my husband and myself were unable to. But we are not a drug using junkies who neglected our children. We are responsible and loving parents who hit a financial hardship. My husband was laid off and due to poor economy couldn't find work for over a year. I had been a stay at home since the birth of our first child at 19 and with no recent work experience couldn't find a decent job. Flipping burgers at McDonald's for minimum wage doesn't support a family of 5. Once our savings ran out we needed help.

We sat down and discussed every thing as adults. We were (supposedly) in agreement with everything. If she had further concerns she had ample time to discuss it with us prior to signing POA papers.

My issue is that she blindsided us with conditions that were not discussed and really have no bearing on my ability to be a good a parent, and is now refusing to make arrangements with us to pick up our children.
I have no problem with the stipulations of us being able to provide financially for our children and having suitable housing and we have met those terms. We could have told her we wanted to come get the kids the week we moved into our current home having only had our jobs a few weeks. Instead we waited 6 months to make sure our work and housing was going to be stable and long term.

G.Donovan

I say you go pick up your kids. What's she going to do..call the cops? Good, have a copy of your notarized agreement with you, you have met everything that was legal, and you are the parents. She may get pretty ticked off at you guys, but they're your kids, and you have accomplished everythign that is important. You don't need to drive in order to be a parent. Many families only have 1 vehicle so only one parent can be driving at a time. Don't worry too much, just go do it. Good luck.

Proserpina

I say you go pick up your kids. What's she going to do..call the cops? Good, have a copy of your notarized agreement with you, you have met everything that was legal, and you are the parents. She may get pretty ticked off at you guys, but they're your kids, and you have accomplished everythign that is important. You don't need to drive in order to be a parent. Many families only have 1 vehicle so only one parent can be driving at a time. Don't worry too much, just go do it. Good luck.

You have absolutely NO clue what you're talking about, do you?
:eek::eek::eek:

Are you one of our regular trolls who just posts randomly to cause problems?

st-kitts

G Donovan is a deleter... And that after my so nice post... Had she started more than one thread or are these jewels on other people posts all there was?

Proserpina

G Donovan is a deleter... And that after my so nice post... Had she started more than one thread or are these jewels on other people posts all there was?

A deleter to boot? Oh jeez.

Yeah, it's going around adding completely irrelevant nonsense to various threads :(

LdiJ

What was incorrect about that response? I am not being snarky, I honestly don't understand. A POA is revokeable and grandma has no right to retain their children. The "conditions" they signed off on are not valid as a contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">