• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining order against Grandparents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

6xphillips

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I would like to know if it would be possible to get a restraining order against my parents for phone harrassment? Long and short of it, I have had custody of my daughter for the past few years. The mother is to have NO contact with her for the next 2 yrs. (there is a restraining order for her mother) My parents and I have been estranged for the past 9 yrs. My daughter doesn't want to communicate with them because they are very close to her mother and they continue to badger her on the phone about things. I have blocked their phone numbers from my house line to stop the harrassment. Just recently, they are now sending the cops to my house to do a check on my daughter because I won't allow phone calls. This isn't the first time. I want to put a stop to this maddness! :mad:

Would a judge allow the restraining order? Do I need to file seperate forms for each of my parents or can I put their names on one? Also, they live out of state, are the forms the same?

Please help!

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I would like to know if it would be possible to get a restraining order against my parents for phone harrassment? Long and short of it, I have had custody of my daughter for the past few years. The mother is to have NO contact with her for the next 2 yrs. (there is a restraining order for her mother) My parents and I have been estranged for the past 9 yrs. My daughter doesn't want to communicate with them because they are very close to her mother and they continue to badger her on the phone about things. I have blocked their phone numbers from my house line to stop the harrassment. Just recently, they are now sending the cops to my house to do a check on my daughter because I won't allow phone calls. This isn't the first time. I want to put a stop to this maddness! :mad:

Would a judge allow the restraining order? Do I need to file seperate forms for each of my parents or can I put their names on one? Also, they live out of state, are the forms the same?

Please help!
i understand what you are trying to accomplish. however, the police doing a well check on your home may not be covered. because your parents aren't directly harassing you.

Just Blue

i understand what you are trying to accomplish. however, the police doing a well check on your home may not be covered. because your parents aren't directly harassing you.
I disagree...As a parent I would find this incredibly harassing.

OP you should contact an attorney in your area to see what your legal options are.

6xphillips

How do I stop the cops from coming to my house for no reason? That's a waste of tax payers money. Not to mention it's embarrassing for the cops to show up when you live in a decent neighborhood. My daughter is also being affected by this. What are her rights?

Isis1

i agree it's harassing, but same as a parent can use CPS to harass the other parent, there are no criminal liabilities.

same effect here.

the police aren't the bad guys here. they are required to check on all calls made. it's embarrassing, YES. it's a waste of the police officers' time, YES it's a waste of the parent's time. they get a call, they HAVE to check. for the safety of the public.

get a restraining order, YES. but that will not stop the police from doing a well check. nutcase grandparents can just have someone else call.

Just Blue

How do I stop the cops from coming to my house for no reason? That's a waste of tax payers money. Not to mention it's embarrassing for the cops to show up when you live in a decent neighborhood. My daughter is also being affected by this. What are her rights?
Personally I would contact the police and explain the situation...See if they could/would put an "alert" on your address to prevent this in the future.

But do consult an attorney and see if s/he believes that a local Judge would grant the order. I would guess that it would be granted.

Just Blue

i agree it's harassing, but same as a parent can use CPS to harass the other parent, there are no criminal liabilities.

same effect here.

the police aren't the bad guys here. they are required to check on all calls made. it's embarrassing, YES. it's a waste of the police officers' time, YES it's a waste of the parent's time. they get a call, they HAVE to check. for the safety of the public.

get a restraining order, YES. but that will not stop the police from doing a well check. nutcase grandparents can just have someone else call.

Bull...If a parent "uses" CPS to HARASS that other parent their most definitely IS criminal/legal ramifications.

MarilynLV

I hope you are nice to the officers.

I'll bet they don't want to be there any more than you want them there.

I wonder if this could be construed as filing a false report. Maybe another forum participant knows this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">