• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scared Grandma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Safehorses

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Maryland
My grandson was born premature in May of last year due to physical complications my daughter was having. DSS stepped in because of drug addictions of both the mom and dad, in October. The baby was in the hospital until January of this year. DSS placed him in my care until either of the parents are able to care for the baby.
I have been a constant in his life from day one. DSS had me jump through hoops in order for him to come here with me.
Now, my daughter is in jail and the courts are going to give the baby to his dad. They think he is wonderful and he is doing everything right so he does get the baby. I know better than to think this guy has changed that much. He use to beat my daughter up and I have witnessed, on more that one occasion, him being very violent. He has a breathalyzer in his car because of his heavy drinking.
We recently went to court for an update of the case. The judge made it perfectly clear that my family wasn't important when it comes to spending time with him on the weekends. Until this court hearing, the dads family was to get him every other weekend with the dad being supervised by family members. Also, the dad can come here to see him with me supervising him. Since the baby came home in Jan the dad has only been out to see him here twice.
I can't believe they are going to give this special needs baby to his dad. He is on a feeding tube and oxygen. Dad can not read or write and they say that is not important.
I totally support the baby with the exception of health insurance, which is provided by the state.
Do I have any rights to my grandson? I want him protected and safe even if he isn't with me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Maryland
My grandson was born premature in May of last year due to physical complications my daughter was having. DSS stepped in because of drug addictions of both the mom and dad, in October. The baby was in the hospital until January of this year. DSS placed him in my care until either of the parents are able to care for the baby.
I have been a constant in his life from day one. DSS had me jump through hoops in order for him to come here with me.
Now, my daughter is in jail and the courts are going to give the baby to his dad. They think he is wonderful and he is doing everything right so he does get the baby. I know better than to think this guy has changed that much. He use to beat my daughter up and I have witnessed, on more that one occasion, him being very violent. He has a breathalyzer in his car because of his heavy drinking.
We recently went to court for an update of the case. The judge made it perfectly clear that my family wasn't important when it comes to spending time with him on the weekends. Until this court hearing, the dads family was to get him every other weekend with the dad being supervised by family members. Also, the dad can come here to see him with me supervising him. Since the baby came home in Jan the dad has only been out to see him here twice.
I can't believe they are going to give this special needs baby to his dad. He is on a feeding tube and oxygen. Dad can not read or write and they say that is not important.
I totally support the baby with the exception of health insurance, which is provided by the state.
Do I have any rights to my grandson? I want him protected and safe even if he isn't with me.
Dad has constitutional rights because this is HIS child. Grandparents have NO inherent rights to their grandchildren. It doesn't matter that dad cannot read or write. What matters is that he is dad and the court believes he can parent his child. When he was violent, what did you do? Did you call the police? Did you file a criminal complaint? When was he violent with your daughter? What type of violence was this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your question is too complex (and important) for an internet forum. I would suggest that you starting talking to local family law attorneys about this matter. You will need one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">