• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister is dying.. grandma & aunt want child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Subri

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

My sister is dying from pancreatic cancer. Her husband is not yet a citizen. My 3 year-old niece is a citizen. We feel that when my sister does die, her husband will run back to his home country of Yugoslavia. We fear he will take the child with him. Yugoslavia has a horrible education system and the living conditions are just as bad. My sister has voiced her wishes that she would like her daughter to remain in the US as well. The husband promised her that if he left, he'd leave the child here with us. We do not trust him or his word. He's a liar with a girlfriend back home. Is there any way that the child can remain in the U.S. until she becomes of age to decide where she would like to live? Of course, remain with us? Thank you in advance! ;)

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
Why do you feel that you have greater rights than the child's father?
Stealth is right...although it would be wise to be consulting an attorney now....for more reasons that just custody. You may be overreacting as well if your sister's husband is a legal resident of the US.

Most legal residents of the US, particularly if they come from a country with serious problems don't have any intention of giving up that residency...or any desire to give it up.

Subri

Father is not a true father. He does nothing for the child nor my sister. He acts as if his part was done when he donated the sperm. He's not acting like her father. We were the ones who raised her with her mom. He should have no rights, he didn't raise her or even stay with her at all.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Subri said:
Father is not a true father. He does nothing for the child nor my sister. He acts as if his part was done when he donated the sperm. He's not acting like her father. We were the ones who raised her with her mom. He should have no rights, he didn't raise her or even stay with her at all.
That's your opinion. He IS her father. SO why do you think you have more rights?

parental rights come first

when the mother passes away,the father will get custody of the child wether you like it or not,and has the right to take the child anywhere he wishes.you have no legal rights to the child.you may not like him,but he IS her father,and he has rights.you'll just have to accept that fact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">