• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social security benefits for grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdevall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? az

On the social security website, it says a grandparent under some circumstances, upon retirement, can get benefits for the grandchild. It does not clarify what those circumstances are. I have had permanent custody of the child since she was 6. She is 9 now. When I'm 62, when I will retire, she will be 14. Does she have to be adopted? I am single.

mistoffolees

On the social security website, it says a grandparent under some circumstances, upon retirement, can get benefits for the grandchild. It does not clarify what those circumstances are. I have had permanent custody of the child since she was 6. She is 9 now. When I'm 62, when I will retire, she will be 14. Does she have to be adopted? I am single.
Kids and Families: Benefits for Grandchildren

LdiJ

Since you have custody, you may very well be able to get benefits for the child. However, that's something that you should discuss with the Social Security Administration directly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">