• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sticky Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlackBerry2610

New Jersey

My daughter has been a mess for years and back in January she put her hands on my oldest grand daughter (was not the first time). My oldest granddaughter called me and told me her mother came home intoxicated once again and then I heard the altercation and heard my grand daughter screaming for help because her mother was choking her. Luckily my grandson was there and my youngest grand daughter. I called the police right away and she was to stay in prison for the night. My granddaughters came to my house and we have successfully moved all of there things out that following weekend and now they are living with me and their grandfather. The court for the restraining order and the domestic violence charges are all done and over with now. Now my question is how do I get custody of my youngest granddaughter and how do I make my daughter give me child support for her daughter. She has already dropped her children from her Health insurance and told the girls plenty of times she no longer cares that they are not coming home. It is just about going about this the right way, I am afraid once my daughter finds out I want child support that she will no longer be on board for giving up her rights. PLEASE HELP!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

I don't believe you can make her pay child support if she gives up all her rights willingly
And you don't know what you're talking about.

First, it is very difficult to get a court to remove someone's parental rights. Even if the parent wants to voluntarily give up their rights, they can not give up their responsibilities. So even if the court allows Mom to give up her rights, she still has an obligation to support the child.

dannyt

wheres dad?

New Jersey

My daughter has been a mess for years and back in January she put her hands on my oldest grand daughter (was not the first time). My oldest granddaughter called me and told me her mother came home intoxicated once again and then I heard the altercation and heard my grand daughter screaming for help because her mother was choking her. Luckily my grandson was there and my youngest grand daughter. I called the police right away and she was to stay in prison for the night. My granddaughters came to my house and we have successfully moved all of there things out that following weekend and now they are living with me and their grandfather. The court for the restraining order and the domestic violence charges are all done and over with now. Now my question is how do I get custody of my youngest granddaughter and how do I make my daughter give me child support for her daughter. She has already dropped her children from her Health insurance and told the girls plenty of times she no longer cares that they are not coming home. It is just about going about this the right way, I am afraid once my daughter finds out I want child support that she will no longer be on board for giving up her rights. PLEASE HELP!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
and btw, where is dad in all this? he is first in line for custody

Antigone*

New Jersey

Has CPS ever been involved in this situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">