• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supervised Visits result in GP Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Flotus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi, my soon to be ex-husband is out of control. Domestic violence, defying court orders, lying to the judge, throwing fits in the visitation center.

He attempted to move visits out of the center, but judge denied.

Judge also withdrew legal custody motion.

He wanted his mother to supervise visits which I strongly object to because they are two bullies trying to secure grandparents' rights through the process.

FYI, she has not made an attempt to know her grandchild, she only calls defending her son's misdeeds and making demands.

I am trying to solidify my argument. DOes anyone have experience or feedback?

Proserpina

Hi, my soon to be ex-husband is out of control. Domestic violence, defying court orders, lying to the judge, throwing fits in the visitation center.

He wanted his mother to supervise visits which I strongly object to because they are two bullies trying to secure grandparents' rights through the process.

FYI, she has not made an attempt to know her grandchild, she only calls defending her son's misdeeds and making demands.

Has she actually filed anything for grandparent visitation?

LdiJ

If the judge already denied his request to move the visits outside of the center, why do you need to solidify your argument?

I honestly am confused as to what you are looking to accomplish right now.

Flotus

If the judge already denied his request to move the visits outside of the center, why do you need to solidify your argument?

I honestly am confused as to what you are looking to accomplish right now.
My original post is clear, my concern is they are trying to undermine the process and secure grandparents rights through supervised visits. SHOULD THE JUDGE allow them in the future outside the center.

The judge denied his recent request, but will "consider" them in the future, provided visits go well.

His attorney started their position with,,, The grandmother would like to see her grandchild." And that sent a red flag sky-high.

He suggested his mother supervise visits, he doesn't like restrictions and resists authority. I have someone in line to suggest to the judge should we progress to supervised visits outside the center b/c I hardly think any supervision will take place with his mother and she's certainly not going to answer to me.

Flotus

Has she actually filed anything for grandparent visitation?
No. My post states I think they are trying to set a precedent through supervised visits. The judge denied his first request but will "consider" future visits outside the center. He suggested his mother, which I strongly object to. He resents authority, does not want to play by the rules. He has argued with the center's supervisor and has literally punched a wall.

Being under his mother's supervision defeats the purpose of a "safe haven" and encourages his irrational, violent behavior. Like is she really going hold him accountable to me???

Silverplum

My original post is clear, my concern is they are trying to undermine the process and secure grandparents rights through supervised visits. SHOULD THE JUDGE allow them in the future outside the center.

The judge denied his recent request, but will "consider" them in the future, provided visits go well.

His attorney started their position with,,, The grandmother would like to see her grandchild." And that sent a red flag sky-high.

He suggested his mother supervise visits, he doesn't like restrictions and resists authority. I have someone in line to suggest to the judge should we progress to supervised visits outside the center b/c I hardly think any supervision will take place with his mother and she's certainly not going to answer to me.
No. My post states I think they are trying to set a precedent through supervised visits. The judge denied his first request but will "consider" future visits outside the center. He suggested his mother, which I strongly object to. He resents authority, does not want to play by the rules. He has argued with the center's supervisor and has literally punched a wall.

Being under his mother's supervision defeats the purpose of a "safe haven" and encourages his irrational, violent behavior. Like is she really going hold him accountable to me???

Okay, then...

I say this from experience......

BREATHE~!!!!!!!.... TAKE A SECOND......RELAX......DO NOT SPAZZ....;)

Ok, now on to the questions....

#1- What is or was the past previous relationship with your child like? How often did the granparent see the child, has seen etc?

#2-Has anything been filed at this time by the grandparent? Do you know if they are retaining a lawyer?

#3- Do you have an attorney and if so, have you spoken to them about the potential visitation suit from the grandparent?

It is hard to say with certainty IF the grandparent will get a visitation order, there are may circumstances we do not know. The biggest being the previous relationship if there was MAY potentially be a factor.

NY is a state that can be grandparent friendly, especially if there are circumstances that would merit the court intervening or if there was an established relationship with the child.

Search on here and you will find quite a few threads from other parents in NYS with similar issues.

Here is the entire NYS Domestic Relations Law, Article 5, Section 72: READ THE BOLDED AND RESEARCH IT.

§ 72. Special proceeding or habeas corpus to obtain visitation rights
or custody in respect to certain infant grandchildren. 1. Where either
or both of the parents of a minor child, residing within this state, is
or are deceased, or where circumstances show that conditions exist which
equity would see fit to intervene,
a grandparent or the grandparents of
such child may apply to the supreme court by commencing a special
proceeding or for a writ of habeas corpus to have such child brought
before such court, or may apply to the family court pursuant to
subdivision (b) of section six hundred fifty-one of the family court
act; and on the return thereof, the court, by order, after due notice to
the parent or any other person or party having the care, custody, and
control of such child, to be given in such manner as the court shall
prescribe, may make such directions as the best interest of the child
may require, for visitation rights for such grandparent or grandparents
in respect to such child.
2. (a) Where a grandparent or the grandparents of a minor child,
residing within this state, can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the
court the existence of extraordinary circumstances, such grandparent or
grandparents of such child may apply to the supreme court by commencing
a special proceeding or for a writ of habeas corpus to have such child
brought before such court, or may apply to family court pursuant to
subdivision (b) of section six hundred fifty-one of the family court
act; and on the return thereof, the court, by order, after due notice to
the parent or any other person or party having the care, custody, and
control of such child, to be given in such manner as the court shall
prescribe, may make such directions as the best interests of the child
may require, for custody rights for such grandparent or grandparents in
respect to such child. An extended disruption of custody, as such term
is defined in this section, shall constitute an extraordinary
circumstance.
(b) For the purposes of this section "extended disruption of custody"
shall include, but not be limited to, a prolonged separation of the
respondent parent and the child for at least twenty-four continuous
months during which the parent voluntarily relinquished care and control
of the child and the child resided in the household of the petitioner
grandparent or grandparents, provided, however, that the court may find
that extraordinary circumstances exist should the prolonged separation
have lasted for less than twenty-four months.
(c) Nothing in this section shall limit the ability of parties to
enter into consensual custody agreements absent the existence of
extraordinary circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">