• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sodaberry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I'm needing some help... About 6 months ago I signed a temporary guardianship agreement for my mother to give care to my daughter. However, the relationship between my mother and I have become unbearable and she often refuses to let me or my father visit her, and also harasses us both. I want to remove my daughter from her care, however she's now threatening to call the police and refusing to let me take her.

The guardianship form was not signed but a judge, but was notarized.

It's my understanding that because it's not a court order, it's my choice to cancel this agreement at any time because I still have custody under Washington State Law.

Can someone please verify this information, as well as let me know what I should have ready to present to police if they are to get involved.
I know I should have proof of incidents showing harassment if that should become an issue, we'll have copies of the agreement, I have a letter saying I no longer agree to let her care for my daughter. Is there anything else I should have?

As my daughter's grandmother, does she have any rights that could strip me of custody?

BL

It appears what you signed was a form giving the temporary guardian the authority to care for the child , the ability to get medical care and the like .

Temporarily .

If the person you entrusted with the temporary care will not willingly turn your child back over to you ,you take a police officer with you to retrieve your child .

Unless this person can show the officer a court order or something from Child Protectives ,that they have a right keep your child from you ,the officer should instruct this person to hand over your child to you.

Show proof that you are a legal parent.

Just a Q? though .

Are you a minor ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">