• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Custody of grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TXgran

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
A few months ago my daughter wanted to allow the bio-father to terminate his rights. Her attorney would not allow her to do this without having her give someone else joint managing conservatorship. I was that someone. My daughter was a teen mom. She has had her share of problems and has been living with some unrelated parties off and on since before the baby's birth. The child is now 3 1/2. I have been recently told that my daughter is having a problem with drugs (she has lost 40+ lbs in a year). She left the child at her current address with the unrelated parties (whom she refers to as grandparents) about 2 weeks ago. After finding out that she had not been back in a week, I went and got my grandchild. I have established childcare, bought new clothes, and treated for the lice that came also. My daughter contacted me after 2 weeks of not seeing her child and wants to arrange a date and time for me to return the child. I do not think this is a suitable enviroment. I do not know if my daughter is clean, but she obviously is much more interested in running around than in being a mom. I feel that the only reason she contacted me is because the people she was living with want the child (they called and threatened to sue me for custody after I left and did not return). What are my rights? I do have joint custody with my daughter, but she is the one that is allowed to establish primary residence.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
A few months ago my daughter wanted to allow the bio-father to terminate his rights. Her attorney would not allow her to do this without having her give someone else joint managing conservatorship. I was that someone. My daughter was a teen mom. She has had her share of problems and has been living with some unrelated parties off and on since before the baby's birth. The child is now 3 1/2. I have been recently told that my daughter is having a problem with drugs (she has lost 40+ lbs in a year). She left the child at her current address with the unrelated parties (whom she refers to as grandparents) about 2 weeks ago. After finding out that she had not been back in a week, I went and got my grandchild. I have established childcare, bought new clothes, and treated for the lice that came also. My daughter contacted me after 2 weeks of not seeing her child and wants to arrange a date and time for me to return the child. I do not think this is a suitable enviroment. I do not know if my daughter is clean, but she obviously is much more interested in running around than in being a mom. I feel that the only reason she contacted me is because the people she was living with want the child (they called and threatened to sue me for custody after I left and did not return). What are my rights? I do have joint custody with my daughter, but she is the one that is allowed to establish primary residence.

You turn over the child to Mom per the court order.

Speak to an attorney first thing Monday if you wish to get things changed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">