• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tried to get protection order against my mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skylarbrooke

i live in ma and tried to get order of protection. judge said to contact police if my mother kidnapped my son and for harassing me. she said establish custody. she said talk to my mother i said im scared then she said she wasnt going to give order. i have custody of my son in ny do i apply again in ma. i really need to find out how to stop my mother from abusing me and holding my son hostage.

Proserpina

i live in ma and tried to get order of protection. judge said to contact police if my mother kidnapped my son and for harassing me. she said establish custody. she said talk to my mother i said im scared then she said she wasnt going to give order. i have custody of my son in ny do i apply again in ma. i really need to find out how to stop my mother from abusing me and holding my son hostage.

Why does your mother have your son?

mistoffolees

Please fill in some details.

1. Is there any order for custody? If so, what does the current custody order say (word for word, but without the names)?

2. Why would your mother think she has the right to take your son?

3. Where is Dad in the picture?

4. You said your mother is harassing you. What is she doing, specifically?

The questions I can answer:
1. If you have a custody order in NY, you don't need to reapply in MA. Every state will honor a valid custody order in any other state.

2. In general, a grandparent does not have the right to custody unless the parents have been found to be unfit. Grandparents do not even have a right to visitation unless a court orders it (which is only likely in a few states. I can't remember if MA is one of them).

It's hard to tell from the way you've written your post, but it sounds like the judge is telling you that you already have a valid custody order, so if your mother takes the child, you can call the police. Bring a certified copy of your custody order and they will probably help you get the child back. At the very least, even if they refuse to help you get the child back, you should file a police report and take it back to the judge to ask for a restraining order against your mother.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Grandparents do not even have a right to visitation unless a court orders it (which is only likely in a few states. I can't remember if MA is one of them).

It's not.

BL

If you have court ordered custody in NY and neither parent/party to the order still resides in NY then all you do is register your NY order in MA. It would be called a registration of foreign Custody Order. To do that you need a Certified Copy of NY's Order from the NY's Court Clerk's Office . You then take it to the Courts clerk's office in MA. and request they register into record there .

The State may have there own procedure.

However you need to answer the questions in order to get accurate help with the grandparent .

What is/are the issue(s) ?

Last edited:

skylarbrooke

thank you

well i went to court on friday and they said get a medical eval since my son is 19 well i called my mother today and she hung up the phone so i called cops in durham nc and they said sue her. so i will in the morning. thank you for all info. skylar

Proserpina

well i went to court on friday and they said get a medical eval since my son is 19 well i called my mother today and she hung up the phone so i called cops in durham nc and they said sue her. so i will in the morning. thank you for all info. skylar

Oh.

Okay.

(What are you going to file in the morning, exactly? :confused: )

OHRoadwarrior

Hx everyone. This is the OP who lived in TX with the retarded 19yr old. She claimed her mom took her son for a sexual relationship and was bribing him to stay in MA. OP moved to MA to try and reclaim her son.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">