• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unborn child and scared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bootz180

I just moved to Pennsylvania from Arkansas where i found out i was pregnant. There are 3 potential fathers, one who died in April. His mother and I still talk and I send her pictures and keep her updated (this is to keep her happy). she is willing to pay for the DNA test of her son. The thing that is scaring me is that a lot of people are saying that there is a chance that she might take me to court to get the baby. she says she won't but people can change their minds. im trying to turn my life around and everything i do is for my baby. is there anything i can do to prevent this? and if she does bring me to court for custody, what are my options?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CSO286

I just moved to Pennsylvania from Arkansas where i found out i was pregnant. There are 3 potential fathers, one who died in April. His mother and I still talk and I send her pictures and keep her updated (this is to keep her happy). she is willing to pay for the DNA test of her son. The thing that is scaring me is that a lot of people are saying that there is a chance that she might take me to court to get the baby. she says she won't but people can change their minds. im trying to turn my life around and everything i do is for my baby. is there anything i can do to prevent this? and if she does bring me to court for custody, what are my options?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

It is possible, but as long as the two of you have an amicalbe relationship and (possible) Grandma hasn't brought it up, you might be ok.

From: http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/default.aspx?cite=UUID(N8C7BBE902A-3811E0A3318-AE499BD0948)&db=1000262&findtype=VQ&fn=_top&pbc=DA010192&rlt=CLID_FQRLT65175524310149&rp=/Search/default.wl&rs=WEBL11.07&service=Find&spa=PAC-1000&sr=TC&vr=2.0

Look for Title 23, Part VI, Chapter 53, Subchapter A, Section 5311.

§ 5311. When parent deceased

If a parent of an unmarried child is deceased, the parents or grandparents of the deceased parent may be granted reasonable partial custody or visitation rights, or both, to the unmarried child by the court upon a finding that partial custody or visitation rights, or both, would be in the best interest of the child and would not interfere with the parent-child relationship. The court shall consider the amount of personal contact between the parents or grandparents of the deceased parent and the child prior to the application.

In any event, right now, you're borrowing trouble.
There is no baby yet, and once there is one--you've got three possible fathers.
Get through that first.

Banned_Princess

don't worry she wont win. maybe some visitation, but she wont take the baby from you.

but you should do the DNA anyway, and be friends with this woman who lost her son. its the civil Christian thing to do. pictures and visits when the baby is born. might bring some happiness to her life.

but your the mom, without a dad, what you say goes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is possible, but as long as the two of you have an amicalbe relationship and (possible) Grandma hasn't brought it up, you might be ok.

From: http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/default.aspx?cite=UUID(N8C7BBE902A-3811E0A3318-AE499BD0948)&db=1000262&findtype=VQ&fn=_top&pbc=DA010192&rlt=CLID_FQRLT65175524310149&rp=/Search/default.wl&rs=WEBL11.07&service=Find&spa=PAC-1000&sr=TC&vr=2.0

Look for Title 23, Part VI, Chapter 53, Subchapter A, Section 5311.

In any event, right now, you're borrowing trouble.
There is no baby yet, and once there is one--you've got three possible fathers.
Get through that first.

Slow down there. Presently, there is NO contact between the child and the (possible) grandparents. Furthermore, there is no determination of paternity. Do you have any sort of law that could force our OP to go through with a DNA test of the deceased possible father?

CSO286

Slow down there. Presently, there is NO contact between the child and the (possible) grandparents. Furthermore, there is no determination of paternity. Do you have any sort of law that could force our OP to go through with a DNA test of the deceased possible father?
There are 3 potential fathers, one who died in April. His mother and I still talk and I send her pictures and keep her updated (this is to keep her happy). she is willing to pay for the DNA test of her son.
I’ve only heard about paternity being established posthumously anecdotally. Mostly re: deployed soldiers.

If she is talking to this possible grandma about doing a DNA test to determine paternity....then I'm “ass”uming that could lead to further action……but again, I indicated that OP is borrowing trouble, given three different possible fathers AND no actual baby yet.

LdiJ

Ok..calm down. It would be nearly impossible for her to take the baby away from you. Grandparents just don't have that kind of standing. Just don't let her talk you into moving back to Arkansas or allowing her to have any major involvement in your life at this point. Her son may not even be the child's father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">