• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncle won't let me see my Bro

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aphrodite02

What is the name of your state? Houston, Tx

My mom and my little bro's dad were never married and my mom had full custody. When my mom died she will that my uncle would take my bro Chad (although I know you can't will children). I was only 19 and had been taking care of the family for 7 years while she was sick, so she didn't want me to have more responsibility of rasing a 9 year old. Chad's dad still has legal custody, although he has not seen Chad since he was about 5. My uncle would let me take Chad on long weekends and holidays at first, but now he won't even let me come over, so if I want to see him I have to drive 3 hours to Hutto and take him around town all day and drive 3 hours home (since I can't afford a hotel). My bro is now 13 and really wants to live with me, but I know I probably wouldn't get custody (I'm broke and in college). What I want to know is can I get visitation rights? I can't afford a lawyer so can I do this on my own? And what are the procedures?

BelizeBreeze

Contact Chad's father and get him to go get your brother. He is the only one with legal standing. Otherwise, if you want legal guardianship, you'll have to challenge the uncle's rights in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">