• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DebraD

Massachusetts What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I filed for Grandparents Visitation. I was denied. I am now asked to write an amendment to my pleadings. ? What reasons do I need to want to see my grandchildren?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

I filed for Grandparents Visitation. I was denied. I am now asked to write an amendment to my pleadings. ? What reasons do I need to want to see my grandchildren?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I don't know. Only you can answer this question.

mistoffolees

You will need to convince the court that it is in the child's best interests for the court to override the parents' Constitutional right to choose who their children associate with. That is a very high hurdle to have to cross, especially with the case law that suggests that you'd have to show actual harm to the child:
Massachusetts Law About Grandparents' Visitation Rights

Please explain the situation. What's going on and why do you feel that it's necessary to drag the courts into the matter? Specifically, how will the child be harmed if you don't get visitation?

In almost all cases, it's better for the grandparents to simply be nice to the parents and work toward a 'normal' family relationship rather than trying to get a court order for visitation.

DebraD

Visitation

When my son and daughter-in-law separated I was told by her that I would always be allowed to see my grandchildren. I have on numerous occasions tried calling her, she changed her phone number. I have gone to the apartment and left notes and my phone number asking to visit with the boys. I have also mailed her letters again asking her to set up a time where I could see the boys, also leaving my phone number.

I used to see the boys at least once a week and talk to them on the phone. I never even went into the courtroom or had a date for a hearing on this matter. I was only sent a letter stating I was denied.

Isis1

When my son and daughter-in-law separated I was told by her that I would always be allowed to see my grandchildren. I have on numerous occasions tried calling her, she changed her phone number. I have gone to the apartment and left notes and my phone number asking to visit with the boys. I have also mailed her letters again asking her to set up a time where I could see the boys, also leaving my phone number.

I used to see the boys at least once a week and talk to them on the phone. I never even went into the courtroom or had a date for a hearing on this matter. I was only sent a letter stating I was denied.
why are you not seeing the kids on dad's time? why do you have to interfere with mom's time?

DebraD

She won't let my son see them either. She is trying to get sole custody of the children so she can give them to her aunt. She never has the children as she sends them to her aunt or other grandparents. But I don't have a chance to tell about that because the Courts won't give me the time to tell them.

Just Blue

She won't let my son see them either. She is trying to get sole custody of the children so she can give them to her aunt. She never has the children as she sends them to her aunt or other grandparents. But I don't have a chance to tell about that because the Courts won't give me the time to tell them.
Your son needs to get off his...butt...and deal with his custody issue.

mistoffolees

That's unlikely to justify grandparent visitation. Just maybe, if you stretch the law to the limit, the fact that you had weekly visits previously MIGHT get you a hearing. But that doesn't mean you'll win.

The reason the court didn't give you time to tell them is that you are not a party to their custody battle. You are a legal stranger and are not involved, so the court isn't going to waste its time.

You need to help your son - get him an attorney if necessary. Mom can't simply get sole custody unless there's a reason and even if she does, she can't simply give them to the aunt (well, actually, she can, but not in a legal sense - and your son could ask for custody if she did).

Your best bet is helping your son to enforce his rights and then you can see the kids on his time. Have him sign up here with his own account and explain why he's not visiting with his kids.

Isis1

then your son needs to sue her for his visitation rights and/or custody. because suing mom, means suing dad as part of the process.

DebraD

I have been trying to help my son. He was in an accident in August of this year and is lucky to be alive. He broke his back in 3 places and fractured his skull. He is still healing. He is doing well but with some memory problems and a lot of pain. He is still in doctors' care. When he was in the hospital (in CCU) my daughter-in-law called me and was going to bring the children to see him. Not how young children should see a parent. Once he was released she changed her number so I no longer could contact her. He cannot go to the apartment as she has a boyfriend who likes to become physical with my son and with the children. There is nothing I can do except get my son better. I cannot afford an attorney at this time nor can he. He has not been able to work since the accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">