• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visiting Grandparents for holidays

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I am the mom, our son lives with dad in WI and our daughter lives in FL with me. Our daughter is in WI for the holidays. Both kids want to see there Grandparents (dads parents) (haven't seen them in 6 months) in WI, Step mom won't allow the children to see any family, no aunts, uncles, or Grandparents and dad doesn't want to stir the pot, so he sides with Stepmom(his current wife). However, stepmom insist on our kids going to her side of the family for the holidays. Grandparents of children are beside themselves and kids are upset as well. Stepmom has been allowed to call all the shots concerning the kids and dad stands behind all her decisions, right or wrong. After 10 years since divorce I am exhausted financially and mentally to fight any of this, what rights do the grandparents have to see the children. And yes, they saw grandparents on a weekly basis prior to divorce. Please help with advise on what can be done.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I am the mom, our son lives with dad in WI and our daughter lives in FL with me. Our daughter is in WI for the holidays. Both kids want to see there Grandparents (dads parents) (haven't seen them in 6 months) in WI, Step mom won't allow the children to see any family, no aunts, uncles, or Grandparents and dad doesn't want to stir the pot, so he sides with Stepmom(his current wife). However, stepmom insist on our kids going to her side of the family for the holidays. Grandparents of children are beside themselves and kids are upset as well. Stepmom has been allowed to call all the shots concerning the kids and dad stands behind all her decisions, right or wrong. After 10 years since divorce I am exhausted financially and mentally to fight any of this, what rights do the grandparents have to see the children. And yes, they saw grandparents on a weekly basis prior to divorce. Please help with advise on what can be done.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It's as simple as can be: grandparents (your parents) visit when the grandkids are with YOU. They visit on your time.

Same with aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, and third cousins.

It doesn't matter if the grandkids are conveniently in WI and the GPs don't have to travel -- if it's Dad's time with the kid/s, it's Dad's time. Not yours to give away.

Last edited:
If you read my post above, it states, it is the dads parents wanting to see them on dads time, not mine. I completely know that when they are with me, that is the time for them to see my family. No need to get rude.

Silverplum

If you read my post above, it states, it is the dads parents wanting to see them on dads time, not mine. I completely know that when they are with me, that is the time for them to see my family. No need to get rude.
Golly gee whillikers, I did indeed miss that it's Dad's parents who want to see the kids on Dad's time.

I was not, however, rude. :rolleyes:

You feel free to google your answers, or pay for an attorney. Or better yet, let the people who want to sue pay for an attorney.

Happy holidays.

Last edited:
"not yours to give away" isn't be rude..... Happy Holidays to you as well and God Bless, I know God will forgive you for how you can give it and never take it. I should have known better then to come on here and ask for advice.

Just Blue

"not yours to give away" isn't be rude..... Happy Holidays to you as well and God Bless, I know God will forgive you for how you can give it and never take it. I should have known better then to come on here and ask for advice.
Merry Christmas Charlie Brown!:rolleyes:

Antigone*

What dad does with his children on his time is his business. If he does not want the kids to see their grandparents, then there is absodanglutely nothing you can do about it.

What dad does with his children on his time is his business. If he does not want the kids to see their grandparents, then there is absodanglutely nothing you can do about it.
Thank you! I will let his parents know, they kindly asked if I knew there rights as we have maintained a civil relationship for the sake of the children.

I will let them know.

Silverplum

Your children would be ever so proud of your potty mouth.:rolleyes:
This one, where she hopped onto another's thread to speak her "mind?"

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-support-98/ncps-state-wont-respond-569752.html#post2974313

angelface30s]You all so called...helpful people.... need to get a life and come down off your high horse.... You all must be misserable. this is called freeadvice, not come on here, ask a question and get insulted by some of you. At least we are trying to do right by the children, cause if we didn't give a ****, we wouldn't come on here.

Now go along your little Merrily lives and get some mental help, cause some of you are very insensitive.

Cheers!

Go ahead and block me, I really don't care.....

LdiJ

Thank you! I will let his parents know, they kindly asked if I knew there rights as we have maintained a civil relationship for the sake of the children.

I will let them know.
Grandparents have no inherent rights at all where the grandchildren are concerned. They only have standing to sue to try to obtain visitation rights, and that is not in all states. I honestly don't remember the current WI case law climate as far as gpv is concerned, but I can tell you that if the grandparents sue him for visitation, he will NEVER forgive them.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No one was rude. But you can also allow the children to see dad's family on your time. It is not that difficult.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Grandparents have no inherent rights at all where the grandchildren are concerned. They only have standing to sue to try to obtain visitation rights, and that is not in all states. I honestly don't remember the current WI case law climate as far as gpv is concerned, but I can tell you that if the grandparents sue him for visitation, he will NEVER forgive them.
They couldn't just sue HIM for visitation. They would have to sue BOTH PARENTS for visitation in the current state that has jurisdiction. Which may not be WI. It might be Florida. Or some other state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">