• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can i do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmb15

I live in the state of Alabama and I am currently not married and pregnant with my first child. There are two possible fathers of my child. One I do not speak with but Ive had a major problem with his mother, He does not care to be involved and has told me if i take him to court for child support he will sign his rights over and thats fine with me because i dont want him involved or need his money. But his mother wants to be involved and has threaten to make things ugly if i dont let her. I do not plan on contacting them when the baby is born and i plan on giving the baby my last name and putting unknown as the father on the birth cirificate. I also do not plan on asking him for a dna test. But i didnt know how much as this could help me. I wouldnt have a problem with her being involved if she was fit to but shes not. Please help! My baby doesnt need to be around these people. i will do whatever it takes.

Last edited:

justalayman

You are not required to list a father. If you do not and the father wishes to express his rights as a father, he would have to sue to establish paternity.

If you utilize any sort of welfare/state aid/ whatever you want to call it, you willl likely be required to attempt to identify the father who will be required to prove or disprove paternity. The state will set child support requirements to repay the state for what you would receive from welfare.

He cannot just "sign away his rights" either.

the mother has no standing to do anything unless her son first establishes paternity. I haven't checked to see if your state even allow grandparent visitation claims but right now, I would not concern myself with it, even if they do.

Rushia

Until he establishes paternity, your child will not have a paternal grandmother to worry about.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I live in the state of Alabama and I am currently not married and pregnant with my first child. There are two possible fathers of my child. One I do not speak with but Ive had a major problem with his mother, He does not care to be involved and has told me if i take him to court for child support he will sign his rights over and thats fine with me because i dont want him involved or need his money. But his mother wants to be involved and has threaten to make things ugly if i dont let her. I do not plan on contacting them when the baby is born and i plan on giving the baby my last name and putting unknown as the father on the birth cirificate. I also do not plan on asking him for a dna test. But i didnt know how much as this could help me. I wouldnt have a problem with her being involved if she was fit to but shes not. Please help! My baby doesnt need to be around these people. i will do whatever it takes.
Putative Dad cannot sign away his rights.

Link to Alabama Code on Child Custody
http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/128972.htm

Link to Alabama Administrative Court site on Child Support:
Alabama Unified Judicial System -- judicial.alabama.gov

DHR website on Child Support:
http://www.dhr.state.al.us/page.asp?pageid=288

Schedule of Basic Child Support:
Alabama Unified Judicial System -- judicial.alabama.gov

If you ever sign up for state aid, they will insist on finding the legal father for the child. The taxpayers of Alabama are not responsible for supporting your child. DHR will make sure this happens. And when Dad gets hit for CS, you can bet that he'll file for custody/visitation. :cool:

mistoffolees

Is this the part where mom comes in and wants to know how she can continue getting state aid without identifying a father?:rolleyes:
While simultaneously receiving child support from both of the potential fathers and not letting either of them know about the child, probably.....

LdiJ

While simultaneously receiving child support from both of the potential fathers and not letting either of them know about the child, probably.....
I realize that its easy to get cynical on these forums, but I think that the above two posts were an unfair dig at this particular OP. She said nothing to indicate that she would be on state aid...and in fact, specially stated that she did not want any money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">