• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a CPS 1513?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoCalifGrandma

Hello,

I am in California, and was granted Temporary Guardianship of my Grandson. We have our hearing for permanent guardianship next week. We met with an investigator from the Probate Department last week, and today I got a call that the judge had ordered a CPS 1513 report. What is that? We have had my grandson since Nov 2011. His parents asked us to care for him while they tried to get their lives together. They are both drug addicts, and the father currently is in jail. The mom has contacted me one time (last week), in the last 5 months to ask about her son. She asked me what she had to do to get her son back. I tried to explain as nicely as I could that it would be a long process for her or them. Why was a CPS report ordered? I am not worried about it at all, since the probate investigator gave us a great recommendation to the judge, but I am just curious.

Thanks

Proserpina

Hello,

I am in California, and was granted Temporary Guardianship of my Grandson. We have our hearing for permanent guardianship next week. We met with an investigator from the Probate Department last week, and today I got a call that the judge had ordered a CPS 1513 report. What is that? We have had my grandson since Nov 2011. His parents asked us to care for him while they tried to get their lives together. They are both drug addicts, and the father currently is in jail. The mom has contacted me one time (last week), in the last 5 months to ask about her son. She asked me what she had to do to get her son back. I tried to explain as nicely as I could that it would be a long process for her or them. Why was a CPS report ordered? I am not worried about it at all, since the probate investigator gave us a great recommendation to the judge, but I am just curious.

Thanks

Because the state requires an investigation since parental unfitness is an issue.

Antigone*

Hello,

Thanks
You have temporary guardianship. The 1513 is the investigator's report. Just an FYI - In the State of California, CPS will attempt to reunite the family first, giving the parents assistance in getting their life together. So even though you got a great reccomendation, if mom wants to get her act together, CPS will help her do that.

SoCalifGrandma

What is a CPS 1513

You have temporary guardianship. The 1513 is the investigator's report. Just an FYI - In the State of California, CPS will attempt to reunite the family first, giving the parents assistance in getting their life together. So even though you got a great reccomendation, if mom wants to get her act together, CPS will help her do that.
Thanks for your response. At this time, it does not appear that either parent is in a position to care for him, but ultimately that is our goal, to have the family reunited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">