• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TiredGranma

California / Placer County

I am a grandmother, who is already raising a 13-yr old since birth. As their mom kept her maiden name (same as my madien - I was raped with her), I have not had problems with school, doctors and such.

I am now faced with a decision to take in her 5-yr old. I put my foot down with this one and gave her no choice to be a mom. Sadly, it still has not happened. This poor child has been from one city to the next - as soon as rent comes up, they make a move (they = her and her husband (not the child's father)). As for the child's father, he, for the most part has not been in the picture for quite some time. Have no idea of his where abouts, but from what I understand (from my daughter), is that he is always high on something, and with horrible mood swings (I assume from the high and lows of whatever it is he does), does not work and is mostly supported by his mother. The only other thing that I know is that the few times he has contacted my daughter to see the little one, she refuses to let the child go until he goes to some rehab and gets off the drugs, get a job and a liveable home (probably the only smart thing she has done for the child).

My grandson has spent most of the summer with us (just me and the older one), so my concern is that last year since they were here and there, he did not complete Kindergarten, which means that he needs to be back in Kindergarten again this year. Schools for this area of Placer County will start on the 24th of this month. From what I am reading and hearing in the news, schools in Sacramento County (where they live) have already started and in some cases already now, for almost two weeks. Which means, he has not been enrolled.

This child too, also has the same last name. My concern is for my grandsons education and of course welfare. He is already a bit slower than other children, so for me, it is quite important that he gets in and with all due respect and honesty a stable and safe enviornment. It's not that my daughters home is safe, but both her and her husband, neither work - and it appears that they want to, and at 37 and 40 something, still act and live very much like they are in their early twenties, parties, bars and more parties.

I do not want to take my daughter to court, I just want to put the boy into school and be there for him. Should things catch up with her (she is in the welfare system in Sacramento County), then that is what she will need to face and answer to. I would most certainly need to get some sort of assistance in Placer County for him and have been struggling with how to present the "why" for me taking him in. She is not an absent parent (as the father pretty much is) but just is not taking her responsibility as a mother to do what is right for the child. In complete honesty - she's just being a very shelfish (sp) idiot.

My question, then, would be, should I take my chances and sign him up for school? Or should I be 'safe' (for whatever safe could be for this situation) and go to the welfare office here in Placer County (my job currently pays $12/hr and this is barely getting us by with only two) and see what they tell me as far as any assistance they can possibly give me. Or my ultimate worse case scenario, and I do mean worst, tell my daughter that if the boy is not registered and in school by months end, I will turn her in my self for not doing so (California has laws of children not going to school).

Please advise ... if you can.

With most thanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

You can not register the child for school because you're not the legal guardian. I'm really rather surprised that you've gotten away with it for so many years with the older one, unless you have a court order.

Frankly, there's too much "we'll just bounce the kids around and see where they land" going on. The process should be handled properly. Either get a court order for custody (in which case, you would become eligible for government assistance if your income and other factors are suitable) or just call CSE and let the kids go to a home that can take care of them.

In any event, I would call CSE for the younger one, anyway. No one will know that you're the one who called and at least the kid will get started in school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">