• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sammy12368

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My son is bringing my two grandbabies to live with me. He is going to continue to live in Minnesota; he just started a new job.
Once they get here I would like to apply for assistance such as; cash assistance, food stamps, and so forth. He is not going to be happy about this, but I am unable to do it on my own. I myself am a waitress and can barely afford my rent and other bills. I want to take care of my grandchildren becuase I see and hear that they are not being well taken care of and I don't believe they deserved this because of the choices that both of the parents have made in their lives. I also would like to get custody. What are the things I need to do to accomplish this. Also, can I apply to get their social security cards in order to get assistance?
Thank you,

LdiJ

My son is bringing my two grandbabies to live with me. He is going to continue to live in Minnesota; he just started a new job.
Once they get here I would like to apply for assistance such as; cash assistance, food stamps, and so forth. He is not going to be happy about this, but I am unable to do it on my own. I myself am a waitress and can barely afford my rent and other bills. I want to take care of my grandchildren becuase I see and hear that they are not being well taken care of and I don't believe they deserved this because of the choices that both of the parents have made in their lives. I also would like to get custody. What are the things I need to do to accomplish this. Also, can I apply to get their social security cards in order to get assistance?
Thank you,
Where is the children's mother?

dannyt

no

Thank you,
you have no inherit rights. mom and dad would either have to agree, or you would have to get both of them declared unfit. btw, who has custody of the children now?

mistoffolees

Thank you,
You should just butt out. You haven't stated any grounds for getting custody. Your grandkids are not a meal ticket, either.

If Mom and Dad agree to let you have custody (or even guardianship might be enough for some things), then they can file with the court. But there's nothing you can do at this point to 'take' custody.

Antigone*

Thank you,
I'd like to know why your son is bringing children to live with you that you cannot afford? Where is mom?

mistoffolees

I'd like to know why your son is bringing children to live with you that you cannot afford?
Son just started a new job. I'm HOPING that he's going to send grandma some money to support the kids. Of course, if she tries her power grab to take custody away from him, he might stop (although if she DID by some bizarre action did manage to gain custody, she could file for him to pay CS, anyway).

This is one where it would be interesting to get the other person's viewpoint. For all we know, Dad dropped the kids off at grandma's house for a visit while he was moving to his new location and maybe getting the first couple of weeks in the new job under his belt.

Where is mom?
That's the big question

Flotus

You should just butt out. You haven't stated any grounds for getting custody. Your grandkids are not a meal ticket, either.

If Mom and Dad agree to let you have custody (or even guardianship might be enough for some things), then they can file with the court. But there's nothing you can do at this point to 'take' custody.
That was harsh.

However, I would like to know how the grandmother jumps from helping son out to wanting to petition the court for custody???? That's something she should've entertained a long time ago because according to her both parents have made poor choices.

WHERE IS MOM? HOW DO WE KNOW DAD DIDN"T SNATCH THE KIDS FROM MOM AND TRYING TO HIDE THEM AT GMom's.

Too many questions. I wish the kids well!!!!

mistoffolees

That was harsh.

However, I would like to know how the grandmother jumps from helping son out to wanting to petition the court for custody???? That's something she should've entertained a long time ago because according to her both parents have made poor choices.

WHERE IS MOM? HOW DO WE KNOW DAD DIDN"T SNATCH THE KIDS FROM MOM AND TRYING TO HIDE THEM AT GMom's.

Too many questions. I wish the kids well!!!!
Which is why I told grandma to butt out of a situation that doesn't involve her legally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">