• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adding newborn to health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

psk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My son and is girlfriend had a baby Jan 20th. My son checked with his HR person during open enrollment about adding the baby to his health insurance and was told there would be no problem, but to wait until the baby was born. His girlfriend was covered by her mothers health insurance which would not cover the baby. We just found out 2 days ago the insurance for the baby did not go into effect until Feb 1st. - obviously not covering the hospital of Dr's charges. HR never told my son there would be any delay in adding the baby onto his insurance. Do we have any recourse? I appreciate any help you can give us.

ecmst12

As long as he added the baby within 30 days of birth, the coverage should be retroactive to DOB. What did HR tell him when he asked?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">