• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ambulance company billed wrong ins company for a year, now my ins refuses to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nkage487

Hi,

The ambulance company that I used in November 2006 had incorrect insurance information (wrong company) on file for me and billed that company after the incident. I didn't hear anything else about the incident until June 2008, a year and a half later, when the ambulance company told me that the bill had not been paid and that they were going to start charging 1% interest a day. When I found out what happenned, I called my insurance company, but they're denying the claim because more than a year has passed since the incident, and the policy says that claims won't be paid after one year except in the absence of legal capacity (not sure what that means).

Anyhow, what can I do - I'm a mostly broke college student with insurance coverage through my school, and I now have a bill that should have been covered, and there was no way I could know that it wasn't paid until it was already past the 1-year point. To make matters worse, I tried telling the ambulance company that I was dealing with the insurance company once I foudn out about this, but just today they, without asking me, drew every last penny out of my bank account!

What can I do? Please Help!

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When an insurance company makes a payment, they send you a statement telling you what was paid and how much (if anything) you still owe. When you did not receive such a statement, it was your responsibility to follow up and find out what happened.

I know, I know. No one told you. It was also your responsibility to ask how the procedure would work.

Bottom line, if it is now beyond the time when your insurance company will pay, then the bill becomes your responsibility to pay. In actual fact, it was always your responsibilty to pay; the ambulance company is entitled to payment regardless of any contract between you and the insurance company and does not have to waive payment because of any misunderstanding on your part of your responsibilities.

It's a shame that the bill was sent to the wrong place but that does not relieve you of the responsibility to ensure (a) that the ambulance company had the correct information (b) that the bill was properly paid and (c) to make payment now.

I'm having a very hard time believing that your bank would allow the ambulance company to direct debit your account without your signed authorization or a court order, so your next step, obviously, is to get in touch with your bank.

ecmst12

Actually if you've already been sued, they can attach your bank account legally. You'll want to get on that right away, call your bank and find out under what authorization did they allow access to your account.

momm2500

I suggest you also send an appeal in to the insurance company in writing. explain the entire situation. at least try.

SBillock

Alittle late..

I know I am chirping in alittle late on this but I agree with momm2500. As a medical biller, I have often sent a ver sincere appeal request letter asking that the filing time limit be waived do to whatever the circumstances were and have, on occassion, be successful at getting payment from an insurance company. Sometime they reduce the payment due to late filing but at least they paid something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">