• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I drop Group Plan & Get Private Plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jim Nelson

:confused: :confused: What is the name of your state? Iowa

My wife and I are both employed as teachers in the same school district. Our premium for family Health Insurance under the schools group policy has rose to $1300 per month. I checked with a local insurance company, and I can get the same coverage for $550.00 per month on my own. The school claims I can not get out of the group policy. Why not??? I want to insure myself. I do not want the group plan anymore at that cost. What can I do???

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Some questions for you that have an effect on the answer to your question:

1.) When did the rates rise? How long ago?

2.) Is your portion of the premium taken out of your paycheck pre-tax or post-tax (This is VERY IMPORTANT)

3.) Are you under a contract and if so, does the contract say anything about your insurance benefits?

Your question cannot be answered without this information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">