• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be forced to buy my school's issurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mosh89

I am a medical student at MCW and they say that we must either be on our parents or our spouse's insurance. Otherwise we have to purchase from them. Is this legal? Can't I purchase insurance on my own and just meet whatever minimum requirements they have?

quincy

I am a medical student at MCW and they say that we must either be on our parents or our spouse's insurance. Otherwise we have to purchase from them. Is this legal? Can't I purchase insurance on my own and just meet whatever minimum requirements they have?
Full-time MCW students are required to have health insurance but it can be through their parents, their spouses or their full-time employer. Regardless of how you are insured, proof of your insurance will be required.

Those not otherwise covered by insurance ARE required, as you say, to enroll in the MCW plan (the annual premium is paid by the College for all full-time PhD students). You can acquire, at your own expense, insurance under the same MCW plan for your spouse and family.

It is legal for MCW to have as a requirement that their students be insured.

Mosh89

This was the exchange

Me: I'm wondering what are the minimum coverage requirements for students that acquire an insurance policy outside of MCW?
Their response: At the moment you can stay on your parents insurance or a spouses insurance –otherwise the schools insurance

So I am aware that I need to get insurance and I wouldn't opt out of that personally. My question is can they mandate WHERE I get my insurance from? I know that spouse, parental, and employer are all options. But can they force me to use one of those options instead of me just buying commercial insurance?

quincy

This was the exchange

Me: I'm wondering what are the minimum coverage requirements for students that acquire an insurance policy outside of MCW?
Their response: At the moment you can stay on your parents insurance or a spouses insurance –otherwise the schools insurance

So I am aware that I need to get insurance and I wouldn't opt out of that personally. My question is can they mandate WHERE I get my insurance from? I know that spouse, parental, and employer are all options. But can they force me to use one of those options instead of me just buying commercial insurance?
This is where you can refer back to Zigner's question. :)

Ask the school.

Insurance offered through MCW is apt to be less expensive than what you can find for yourself elsewhere, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">