• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they keep my last check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phoenix1751

:mad: What is the name of your state?Tennessee. I recently quit my job to take another. The company I was working for was charging me $107 dollars a week for Ins. and paying the rest, the total bill for one month is $880. They pay the bill on the first of the month and I quit the job in the first week of the month. I recently received a letter with my final check STUB stating that I owe them $737.63-$413.56 which left a balance of $324.07. Can they keep my final check and charge me the $324.07. I would just as soon they cancel the Ins. because I will have Ins. at my new job.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They may not have the option of cancelling the coverage prior to the last day of the month. It depends on how the insurance contract is written. In my experience, and I've been working with employer sponsored group coverage for 25 years, about 50% of polices, more or less, allow an employer to cancel coverage on the last day of work, and the other 50% do not allow the carrier to cancel coverage at any time except the last day of the month in which employment ended.

As to your question, (which you really should have posted on the Wage and Salary or Fringe Benefits board - this is not really an insurance question but a wage question) Tennessee law appears to be silent on the question of an employer taking deductions without permission from the employee. Many states require your written permission before the employer can take a deduction not required by law, but Tennessee does not appear to be one of those states, at least according to my source. You can check with the TN DOL to be certain since my source is a bit out of date, but at least according to what I have in front of me, they CAN do this in your state unless doing so would drop you below minimum wage for the number of hours you worked in your last week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">