• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't afford Obamacare this year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

Then you'll pay the penalty if you don't meet one of the exemptions.

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/aca-individual-shared-responsibility-provision-exemptions

Oh, wait, silly me, it's not a penalty, it's a "shared responsibility payment." :D

LdiJ

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/aca-individual-shared-responsibility-provision-exemptions

Oh, wait, silly me, it's not a penalty, it's a "shared responsibility payment." :D
Maybe...that is assuming that the whole thing hasn't been scrapped by then.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Come on. You two are experienced message board volunteers. Surely you can recognize "seed spam" when you see it?

Stav53

I did receive an exemption from Healtcare.gov stating that "You don't owe a fee for not having health coverage. This is because of your income, and because the State of FL declined to expand Florida Medicaid to cover individuals in your situation**************".
After I received the above exemption, I was with the impression that all was OK. But somehow they (Healtcare.gov) chose a plan for me de-facto, and now Humana is asking me to pay the January monthly dues. Should I or appeal? That's the question.
Thanks

adjusterjack

I did receive an exemption from Healtcare.gov stating that "You don't owe a fee for not having health coverage. This is because of your income, and because the State of FL declined to expand Florida Medicaid to cover individuals in your situation**************".
After I received the above exemption, I was with the impression that all was OK.
That was probably regarding 2016 tax year.

But somehow they (Healtcare.gov) chose a plan for me de-facto, and now Humana is asking me to pay the January monthly dues. Should I or appeal? That's the question.
You don't need to appeal anything.

If you don't pay, coverage will lapse, and if Obamacare is still alive by the end of 2017 you'll have to address whether or not you qualify for the exemption when you do your taxes for 2017.

It's up to you.

All I can say is being without medical insurance is incredibly foolish.

Stav53

That was probably regarding 2016 tax year.

You don't need to appeal anything.

If you don't pay, coverage will lapse, and if Obamacare is still alive by the end of 2017 you'll have to address whether or not you qualify for the exemption when you do your taxes for 2017.

It's up to you.

All I can say is being without medical insurance is incredibly foolish.
I understand and agree with all of the above.
The problem is that Humana keeps sending me letters to pay the January dues. Send them several emails with attachments of the exemption for 2017 coverage but they keep sending me reminders.
How to handle that? I dont want to be charged with their dues and late fees for non-payment.
Thanks for taking the time to help.

Stav53

Come on. You two are experienced message board volunteers. Surely you can recognize "seed spam" when you see it?
If by "seed spam" you are referring to my first post above, then NO its not a seed spam. I'm a citizen that needs some help to understand the health insurance law.
Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
At the time I posted it there was nothing but a blank window with no explanation, which is how seed spam often starts. I was not to know what was going to be posted below me.

adjusterjack

I understand and agree with all of the above.
The problem is that Humana keeps sending me letters to pay the January dues. Send them several emails with attachments of the exemption for 2017 coverage but they keep sending me reminders.
How to handle that? I dont want to be charged with their dues and late fees for non-payment.
In general, it's insurance. When you don't pay for insurance, the insurance lapses and you don't have coverage anymore.

How about you quote those "reminders" word for word?

You might also want to read your policy or insurance plan booklet or whatever it is they sent you when you signed up and see what it says about cancellation for non-payment.

eerelations

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) was repealed in the middle of the night sometime last week. It's over; it doesn't exist any more. People receiving benefits under the ACA will be entitled to said benefits until some date in March 2017, and then the day after that date, said benefits will cease. The representatives who announced the repealing of the ACA also said that they may or may not replace it with something else, but if they do, it will be very different from the current ACA (for example, if they decide to replace the ACA plan, they are definitely not going to allow pre-existing conditions in any replacement plan they devise). Several reputable news sources (Washington Post, Slate, New York magazine and Esquire) have reported all of this, including attributions, however the information doesn't seem to have hit the really big outlets like CNN. Maybe because it happened in the middle of the night? Or because CNN and others have been focusing on Mr. Trump's other executive orders? I don't know, but there it is, it has happened, it's gone.

Looks like the OP has a choice: buy regular health insurance from a regular health insurance company, or don't buy health insurance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The above is not absolutely accurate. The ACA is still the law of the land; an executive order was signed which is essentially gives the states permission to override part of it if they want to.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Oh, for sure. But it's not completely undone quite yet. It'll take a bit longer to undo than I think most people realized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">