• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COBRA "never received payment" and cancelled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xian

What is the name of your state? California
My girlfriend is a Type I diabetic. She was formally married, and had insurance coverage through her husband's employer. Last year they divorced, and she applied for COBRA insurance. She had paid the first month premium, but yesterday she received a letter from COBRA stating that her coverage had been cancelled, as they 'had not received payment' for last month, and that the grace period (mid July to mid August) had expired. Of course she did not receive this 'courtesy notice' until after the grace period. She says she had immediately sent payment after receiving the bill back in July. Unfortunately the payment was mailed directly from a US Post Office, not online. There is no record of the check, and COBRA did not cash it. The letter said there was no way to reinstate coverage through them, this confirmed by the COBRA employee my girlfriend spoke to on the phone. She tells me that no insurance company will cover someone with a pre-existing condition unless it's through a domestic partnership or marriage. We do not live together. She has very limited funds to live on from her marriage, but does not work. She plans to go to school ($12K) for a year so she can get a job and health insurance through an employer.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California
My girlfriend is a Type I diabetic. She was formally married, and had insurance coverage through her husband's employer. Last year they divorced, and she applied for COBRA insurance. She had paid the first month premium, but yesterday she received a letter from COBRA stating that her coverage had been cancelled, as they 'had not received payment' for last month, and that the grace period (mid July to mid August) had expired. Of course she did not receive this 'courtesy notice' until after the grace period. She says she had immediately sent payment after receiving the bill back in July. Unfortunately the payment was mailed directly from a US Post Office, not online. There is no record of the check, and COBRA did not cash it. The letter said there was no way to reinstate coverage through them, this confirmed by the COBRA employee my girlfriend spoke to on the phone. She tells me that no insurance company will cover someone with a pre-existing condition unless it's through a domestic partnership or marriage. We do not live together. She has very limited funds to live on from her marriage, but does not work. She plans to go to school ($12K) for a year so she can get a job and health insurance through an employer.
How can we help you - what is your question?

TIMMAAYY

She may still qualify for individual insurance with Type 1 diabetes. If it's controlled by meds or diet, and there aren't any other complications ( HBP, cholesterol, etc. ) she might still be able to get individual insurance.

Is she taking any meds?

What and how many?

Is it diet controlled?

Has it been more than 63 days since she was last covered?

Are there any oter complications along with the diabetes?

:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">