• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cobra vision terminated, but check cashed???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SMCSMC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

This is not a high-dollar thing, but still.... we had Cobra, for vision only, through 12/31/2014, with a $6.49 premium which had been paid every month for nearly 3 years. So it is about to come to it's natural end in 13 days.

But I can't believe that the second to the last payment (of 36 total) slipped by, though I thought it was paid. The payment for each month has a final due date of the 1st day of the following month. (November's payment must be paid on or before December 1st; December's payment must be made on or before January 1st, etc. My M.O. has been to pay each month's near the start of that month, rather than waiting until the end of the month or the 1st of the following month.)

Here's my appeal letter, faxed to ADP on December 2nd, and a copy mailed to them the next day w/ the $12.98 payment for November & December:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Cobra Appeals,

As you can see by my online payment history, I typically pay my premium on the website during the early part of the month. I wanted to pay December’s premium yesterday (December 1st), but returning from a very long Thanksgiving road trip from xxx back to xxx made it impossible for me to get online and do that in a secure way yesterday.

So when I went online to make the December payment today (December 2nd), I saw that November was also due, though I was certain it was already paid in early November, but I must have been mistaken. I tried to make the payment online today (December 2nd) for both November and December, but the website would not allow me to make the $12.98 payment ($6.49 for each of the two months). If I had been able to get online to the website yesterday, December 1st, I could have paid both months without a problem, since November can be paid up to December 1st (and December can be paid up to January 1st, though I typically would always pay earlier, by at least the 10th of the month).

I learned that I could not make the payment by phone, but that a payment would have to be mailed since the website could not take my payment. I wish I could send the payment along with this fax! But I will mail a copy of this fax in the next mail pick-up, along with a check for the $12.98 to cover November and December. So I am requesting reinstatement and very much appreciate your help with this.

Sincerely,

So I see that the mailed $12.98 CHECK WAS CASHED for November & December, but going online to the account, it acknowledges receipt of that payment, but still states that the account is terminated! The ADP representative had told me on December 2nd that it shouldn't be a problem, and that if for some reason it was not reinstated that the check wold be returned (not that we're talking about much money here). But the principle of taking that check and not reinstating is unnerving.

And as it is, I would have less than 13 days remaining to use those benefits, which I would like to use right away. Do I have any recourse? How can ADP have cashed that check and still terminated the coverage? It's not a huge dollar loss, but is very exasperating.

Thanks for your help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

This is not a high-dollar thing, but still.... we had Cobra, for vision only, through 12/31/2014, with a $6.49 premium which had been paid every month for nearly 3 years. So it is about to come to it's natural end in 13 days.

But I can't believe that the second to the last payment (of 36 total) slipped by, though I thought it was paid. The payment for each month has a final due date of the 1st day of the following month. (November's payment must be paid on or before December 1st; December's payment must be made on or before January 1st, etc. My M.O. has been to pay each month's near the start of that month, rather than waiting until the end of the month or the 1st of the following month.)

Here's my appeal letter, faxed to ADP on December 2nd, and a copy mailed to them the next day w/ the $12.98 payment for November & December:

Dear Cobra Appeals,

As you can see by my online payment history, I typically pay my premium on the website during the early part of the month. I wanted to pay December’s premium yesterday (December 1st), but returning from a very long Thanksgiving road trip from xxx back to xxx made it impossible for me to get online and do that in a secure way yesterday.

So when I went online to make the December payment today (December 2nd), I saw that November was also due, though I was certain it was already paid in early November, but I must have been mistaken. I tried to make the payment online today (December 2nd) for both November and December, but the website would not allow me to make the $12.98 payment ($6.49 for each of the two months). If I had been able to get online to the website yesterday, December 1st, I could have paid both months without a problem, since November can be paid up to December 1st (and December can be paid up to January 1st, though I typically would always pay earlier, by at least the 10th of the month).

I learned that I could not make the payment by phone, but that a payment would have to be mailed since the website could not take my payment. I wish I could send the payment along with this fax! But I will mail a copy of this fax in the next mail pick-up, along with a check for the $12.98 to cover November and December. So I am requesting reinstatement and very much appreciate your help with this.

Sincerely,

So I see that the mailed $12.98 CHECK WAS CASHED for November & December, but going online to the account, it acknowledges receipt of that payment, but still states that the account is terminated! The ADP representative had told me on December 2nd that it shouldn't be a problem, and that if for some reason it was not reinstated that the check wold be returned (not that we're talking about much money here). But the principle of taking that check and not reinstating is unnerving.

And as it is, I would have less than 13 days remaining to use those benefits, which I would like to use right away. Do I have any recourse? How can ADP have cashed that check and still terminated the coverage? It's not a huge dollar loss, but is very exasperating.

Thanks for your help!
You have every right to expect ADP to refund any unused premium that you paid. That would be $12.98 or $6.49.

SMCSMC

Cobra appeal, continued

You have every right to expect ADP to refund any unused premium that you paid. That would be $12.98 or $6.49.
Well, I'm not so much interested in the $12.98 as I am in having the plan reinstated. :)

Just talked with them and they said to fax a brief second appeal referring to the first appeal, and if it is reinstated, they will refund out-of-pocket vivion expenses paid through December 31, 2014. We'll see!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">