• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collections on 5yr old bill to be paid by old ins. co.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robfrew

What is the name of your state? FL., Ut.

In September of 2000, I visited the Florida Hospital emergency room and ended up getting stitch work done. I didn't have my insurance card at the time so they asked me to fax them the information when I got home later. I did so as they requested. I then was contacted a while later from the hospital that they did not receive any information so I contacted my Insurance Co. and provided the hospital information to them so my bill would be taken care of. They obliged and I never heard anything again. Over the years, I moved and relocated about 4 times since this incident and now live in Salt Lake City. I'm trying to get a house now and they pulled my credit report. On the collections list is a collection agency for Florida Hospital. I called them and they say I owe $1300 for the bill that was never paid by the insurance co. This was 5 years ago & I am no longer with the insurance company but I have proof of coverage for the time I was in the hospital. I had no idea this wasn't paid or I would've dealt with it at the time. I haven't contacted the insurance company yet but want to know what my options are just in case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

purple2

Word to the wise: When you expect a health insurance claim to be filed on your behalf, ensure you receive an Explanation of Benefits form showing what was paid. If you don't receive an EOB, that most likely means no claim was filed for you. Then it is up to you to follow up with the provider to ensure the matter is settled.

lkc15507

Ow. Perfect example of the ostrich with the head in the sand. The bill is yours, always was. Was your deductible and co-insurance met for that year? Even if those patient responsibility amounts were met and someone else messed up, this bill is yours. Geez o pete, if anyone else reads this, always know that a bill from a provider belongs to you regardless of insurance. Insurance is a contract. You have to meet the terms. Do not leave that up to a provider or anyone else to fix it or take care of it for you. Why o why do folks believe that insurance is a cure all? Please take responsibility!

Last edited:

AEGee

California

My question is somewhat related but only as to billings/collections. I had surgery in June 05. I received a bill from the hospital that showed a payment from the insurance carrier with a balance due. I mailed a partial payment to them with a letter requesting for the breakdown of the bill. I have received subsequent bills with no response to my request. With each bill I am sending a check and another letter for the information. I understand from the previous message that the bill is my responsiblity and not that of the insurance company. I agree. But as a health care consumer don't I have a right to the complete medical bill and what the charges were for. I have sent two more "token" payments with a letter each time requesting the breakdown of the charges. I feel that if I pay this off in full I will NEVER receive the breakdown. I hear many times of charges on hospitals bills that are for items that are unrelated to the acutal procedure costs. They are now threatening to go to collections on this. Why am I not receiving an itemized statement if they don't have anything to hide? How can I make my request for such more demanding?

purple2

If you are including notes requesting itemized statements with your check, they are probably getting lost. The people who process the checks are not the people who handle itemized bill requests. Not that that's an excuse, just a probable explanation.

Send a registered letter indicating you have requested an itemized bill numerous times and have not yet received one, and you are now requesting one within 5 business days of receipt of the letter. That will probably work.

Did you receive a statement about your rights as a hospital patient? Usually they say itemized bills must be provided upon request. I wasn't able to locate that in California's pt. rights info online though. Check your pt rights paperwork--if they don't respond to your registered letter, you could file a complaint stating your rights are being violated (if you indeed have the right in CA to have an itemized bill).

AEGee

California

Thanks so much for the response. I had sent the check with the letters requesting the itemized statement but am doing so again as you suggested via registered or certified (return receipt) letter. I was planning to cc/ the hospital's corporate (corporate compliance office) and my insurance company.

The most recent handwritten bill is dated 23 Sept is demanding payment within 10 days or they are sending this to collections. I find this absurb - especially since I still dont have a breakdown of the costs and have sent them a check.

I did receive their Patient Rights and Responsibilities - however it is not extremely clear about receiving an "itemized" bill. It states: "the patient has the right to ...be fully informed of the scope of services available at the facility.... and related fees for services rendered." I assume this is the paragraph I should use. I too, have had difficulties finding the california pt rights info. Consumer Reports had the best info but nothing clearly stated was found in the CA codes Health and safety code sections.

why are these things so difficult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">