• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dental x rays

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ginapass

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I would like to know if my dental x rays belong to the dentist who took them or to me. My old dentist wants to charge me $20 to print out digital x rays onto paper for my current dentist. Can't I just take them since they are of my teeth?
Thanks!

lealea1005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I would like to know if my dental x rays belong to the dentist who took them or to me. My old dentist wants to charge me $20 to print out digital x rays onto paper for my current dentist. Can't I just take them since they are of my teeth?
Thanks!

They belong to the dentist. You are entitiled to a copy. They may charge a fee for copying records.

ecmst12

Agreed, ALL of your medical records belong to the provider who recorded them. You are entitled to a copy only, and the doctor does not have to incur any expenses to provide that copy to you, so they can charge you a reasonable copying fee. Printing x-rays requires very high tech equipment hence the high cost. Plus the digital copy is better quality then any printout anyway, can't you just get it on disc?

Jan Hardy

dental x-rays

Does the old dentist have the responsibility of faxing the x-rays to the new dentist if he requests them? My health insurance only covers full dental x-rays once every three years and as a breast cancer survivor, I have been advised not to overdo x-rays.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">