• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dependent coverage of 'domestic partnership'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paint12345

What is the name of your state? PA

My boyfriend of several years works for Best Buy corporation (HQ in Minnesota). Best Buy offers insurance coverage to their employees and dependents, including spouses, children, and domestic partnerships. By their definition a domestic partnership has several requirements. I believe I meet each requirement, save one. We are in a mutually exclusive relationship of longer than 12 months, we intend to stay that way, we have a son together, we are financially interdependent, and are responsible for each other's well being, etc. The only thing is that they specify a domestic partnership must include 2 people of the same gender. I believe this is discriminatory. Do I have any recourse in this situation?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To put it bluntly, no. This is an old argument; you're by no means the first to try this "discriminatory" argument, and it's been dismissed each time. Put frankly, you have the option of getting married and becoming a legal dependent under the definitions of the insurance plan. Except in Massachusetts, two people of the same gender don't. In addition, maritial status is not protected under either PA or Federal law, so by definition, this is not illegal discrimination.

Sorry, no go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">