• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did I violate HIPAA??? Please help...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarah.Elizabeth

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I discussed a situation with a patient about a former patient using absolutley no descriptive or specific information. Did I violate HIPAA? Please someone get back to me ASAP.....Thanks

ecmst12

If no personally identifying information was revealed, then no. But you can still be fired for it, if that's what you're worried about.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you are in Montana (and even sometimes in Montana) or have a legally binding contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, you can be fired at any time and for any reason that does not violate the law. If the employer feels that your discussion was inappropriate, you can be fired regardless of whether it actually violated HIPAA or not. Nowhere does the law say that you cannot be fired unless you violate the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">