• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency Room Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

markymark123

Hi, I am in New York.
I recently went to the emergency Room at NYU for strangulated hernia.
Later I received Dr's bill for $265 which was OK. But the Hospital bill was $1,000 plus 9.6% Tax.

I am trying to get itemized bill, but they keep telling me that Hospital's minimum bill is 1,000 and no CPT nor ICD9 codes used and nothing to break down. I spend about 30-40 min on their bed that is all.

How can I dispute the bill or can I have it broken down.
The nurse spend 5 min with me and handed me a cold pack. That is all I got from the hospital itself. I am a health care practitioner myself and know about billing but not emergency room billing.
Any advice on how I can dispute the emergency room bill ?
Mark.

ecmst12

You can insist on an itemized bill but you still have to pay it. $1000 is not unreasonable for an ER fee. It doesn't matter how little attention you feel you received, services provided on an emergency basis are EXPENSIVE. The cost of maintaining the entire ER is wrapped up in the charges that each patient receives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">