• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency Room Bill - Never Seen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wildbird55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
On 6/8/09 I was directed to the Emergency Room by my Primary Care Physician's office because I could not be seen. I was triaged at the ER in less than 5 minutes and waited over 4 hours without being seen. I was sent a bill for $150. I called the billing administrator the evening I received the bill and left her a message that I was not seen and would not pay the bill. 3-4 weeks later I received a bill for $75. I submitted a complaint to the Attorney General's office and have not heard anything further until yesterday when I received a bill for $27.10 from the hospital after my insurance paid $47.90. I intend to contact the AG's office tomorrow. Am I responsible for this bill? It works out to $900/hour for having my bp and temp taken. Thoughts on how to handle?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

Am I responsible for this bill?
Based on your post, yes. Your emergency room billing pays for far more than the actual services you might have received. If nothing else, you 'rented' space in their facility for four plus hours! :D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
On 6/8/09 I was directed to the Emergency Room by my Primary Care Physician's office because I could not be seen. I was triaged at the ER in less than 5 minutes and waited over 4 hours without being seen. I was sent a bill for $150. I called the billing administrator the evening I received the bill and left her a message that I was not seen and would not pay the bill. 3-4 weeks later I received a bill for $75. I submitted a complaint to the Attorney General's office and have not heard anything further until yesterday when I received a bill for $27.10 from the hospital after my insurance paid $47.90. I intend to contact the AG's office tomorrow. Am I responsible for this bill? It works out to $900/hour for having my bp and temp taken. Thoughts on how to handle?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why did you lie about receiving the bill? :rolleyes:

Proserpina

But you were seen - or do you think triage should be free? :confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zig, I think OP is complaining about not being seen by a physician after triage - not saying s/he didn't receive the bill...
Of course - sometimes when you get it stuck in your head one way, it stays there...doh!

ecmst12

Just because you left before it was your turn does not mean you don't have to pay for the time you were there.

lealea1005

It works out to $900/hour for having my bp and temp taken.
You received a service in an urgent/emergent care setting during or after being triaged. If you left without being seen (against medical advice?), you're lucky your insurance paid anything at all. You owe the balance.

swalsh411

My thoughts on how you should handle this would be to pay the bill for $27.10. I don't think you have any idea of the costs for ER care.

ecmst12

And next time if you're not having a true medical emergency, you won't go to the ER in the first place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">