• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency room visit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbailey29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

My daughter is 18 and is not living with me or her father, she is living with her boyfriend's family. Her father provides health insurance for until she graduates from high school this summer. She required a trip to the emergency room because she thought she had broken her wrist. Is it considered fraud if they listed her father as the person financially responsible for payment without his consent? Who is legally liable for the emergency room bill? Would she be liable because she is 18 and a legal adult? Or would her father be liable because he provides the insurance. I do not think insurance information was given at the time of the emergency room visit.

ecmst12

The bill should be submitted to her insurance. She is responsible for any copay or balance after insurance pays. I wouldn't call it fraud to list his name on the forms, but legally she is an adult and responsible for her own bills.

momm2500

no it is not fraud. if he is carrying the child on his medical insurance, then they listed him on the insurance information. also, just because she is 18......I bet you that the father is getting the tax benefits of claiming the child for the tax year as his dependent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">