• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emergency room visit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John Shrein

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

From my recent employer, I had medical coverage until October 31st. I experienced a knee injury on the day of the 31st and because I knew my medical coverage was going to end the next day I thought it would be wise to go straight to the emergency room. I signed into the hospital shortly after 10:00pm on 10/31/2008 but I wasn't released until the morning of 11/1/2009.

When I had entered the hospital I clearly explained my situation and was seeking confirmation that I would be covered for the event because I clearly entered the hospital before the 1st of november 1st and I was told by a couple nurses that I should be find. Their attitudes were short and blunt and because I was in any serious pain or any critical condition I kept getting bumped down the list by people who showed up after me. Well my insurance told me that If I can't get the hospital to rebill for the 31st than there is nothing they can cover.

I will address the hospital, but if they refuse to rebill for the 31st do am I left with any other options or am I stcuck with this $1000 bill?

Last edited:

lealea1005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

From my recent employer, I had medical coverage until October 31st. I experienced a knee injury on the day of the 31st and because I knew my medical coverage was going to end the next day I thought it would be wise to go straight to the emergency room. I signed into the hospital shortly after 10:00pm on 10/31/2008 but I wasn't released until the morning of 11/1/2009.

When I had entered the hospital I clearly explained my situation and was seeking confirmation that I would be covered for the event because I clearly entered the hospital before the 1st of november 1st and I was told by a couple nurses that I should be find. Their attitudes were short and blunt and because I was in any serious pain or any critical condition I kept getting bumped down the list by people who showed up after me. Well my insurance told me that If I can't get the hospital to rebill for the 31st than there is nothing they can cover.

I will address the hospital, but if they refuse to rebill for the 31st do am I left with any other options or am I stcuck with this $1000 bill?
Obviously, there were people arriving at the EMERGENCY Room with more emergent (aka: life threatening) problems than yours, so there were treated first...as it should be.

If your services were actually rendered on Nov. 1 (as indicated by the date/time stamps on the reports), then the hospital/ER Physician group/Radiologist would be commiting insurance fraud if they amended/changed the date to Oct. 31.

You are responsible for paying the bill.

ecmst12

You should have called your regular doctor to be seen there as soon as the injury occurred rather then going to the ER for a non-emergency situation.

You will have the option to elect Cobra to extend your coverage. One month of Cobra will probably cost less then the ER bill without insurance.

momm2500

it is not the responsibility of the nurses, hospital staff or anyone else except you to know if anything is going to be covered under the insurance plan. you received services after midnight and they would not be covered under your insurance since your plan terminated at midnight. insurance companies can obtain itemized bills and deny any charges after midnight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">