• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expiration/ non-disclosure of pre-existing condition??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freeind

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Colorado

Hello,

I have been without health insurance (or life) for approximately 3 years. My coverage expired soon after my marriage ended (my spouse had ins via employer). I immediately shopped for individual coverage and was told by several Health Insurance Agents/ Brokers that I shouldn't even "apply" for coverage due to several claims, over a 6 month period, I made for help with a substance abuse problem. My only option was state coverage and the cost was outrageous and didn't cover a prescription I needed at a cost of $500/ mo.

I have done nothing now for 3+ years. The question I have is this:

Will my substance claim(s), or pre-existing condition, from over 3 years ago prevent me from getting health insurance now?

Is it something I need to disclose when applying for insurance?

Am I going to have to "pay for it" for the rest of my life?

FYI - I am healthy, in mid-thirties and have gone without medical treatment for years.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Will my substance claim(s), or pre-existing condition, from over 3 years ago prevent me from getting health insurance now? That will depend entirely on the insurance carriers. It will not affect your obtaining group insurance through an employer, but as far as individual insurance goes, Massachusetts and Maine are the only states with guaranteed issue coverage; in all other states the insurer is permitted to deny a policy for someone who does not meet their eligibility qualifications.

Is it something I need to disclose when applying for insurance? You need not volunteer the information if it is not asked for, but if it is asked for you need to provide whatever information is requested. Failure to do so could result in the voiding of the policy.

Am I going to have to "pay for it" for the rest of my life? Not likely; eventually there will come a time when most conditions "age off" an insurer's radar. But count on it coming up as a potential issue for several years yet.

freeind

Q: Am I going to have to "pay for it" for the rest of my life?

A: Not likely; eventually there will come a time when most conditions "age off" an insurer's radar. But count on it coming up as a potential issue for several years yet.

OK, so I guess I should just go about my business looking for health insurance and see what types of questions or eligibility qualifications I run into.

Is there a way to obtain general info on "age off" variables?

What is the best way to shop for coverage? Should I contact a local agent/ broker or "go direct" online?

I appreciate your help!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There's no general info available. "Ageing off" is my own expression. But how long any given carrier is going to be concerned about a past pre-existing condition is entirely up to them. Whether it's five years, seven years, ten years, twenty years or what, the only thing you can do is keep looking and answer all questions honestly and accurately.

Edited to add: Sorry, missed your last question. How to shop for coverage is a personal decision but I personally prefer going through a broker. My husband has pre-ex issues as well, though not the same ones as yours, and I am in a guaranteed issue state, but even so I've gotten better rates from brokers who deal in bulk business than I have on-line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">