• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

G/F canceled from insurance because of age

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TincoDesign

Hello im am from Illinois, my G/F worked for Walgreens and was fired because of a grouchy customer overhearing her say a curse word. Instead of calling the store manager this lady called corporate and they fired her. Although she was a well respected employee and was just recently promoted to a department manager they still fired her because of one single complaint. That is not my question but if anyone knows of a fight against this please let me know. My question is: she was covered under her mothers medical insurance because Walgreens said that there enrolment period for insurace had passed and she would not be able to enroll untill after her pregnancy. Well she just turned 23 today and about 3 weeks ago her mothers insurance plan said they were going to cancell her on her 23 B-Day. We went to file for a medical card, they said it would take up to 40 days to process it. They did say that any medical bills aquired during that waiting period would be reimbursed. The problem now is, her OBGYN will not see her unless we come up with over $600 for her next appointment. Is there anything we can do, I am 25 and a college student as well as her. We do not have $600 laying around and she needs these appointments as she is pregant with twins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Trails

TincoDesign said:
Hello im am from Illinois, my G/F worked for Walgreens and was fired because of a grouchy customer overhearing her say a curse word. Instead of calling the store manager this lady called corporate and they fired her. Although she was a well respected employee and was just recently promoted to a department manager they still fired her because of one single complaint. That is not my question but if anyone knows of a fight against this please let me know. My question is: she was covered under her mothers medical insurance because Walgreens said that there enrolment period for insurace had passed and she would not be able to enroll untill after her pregnancy. Well she just turned 23 today and about 3 weeks ago her mothers insurance plan said they were going to cancell her on her 23 B-Day. We went to file for a medical card, they said it would take up to 40 days to process it. They did say that any medical bills aquired during that waiting period would be reimbursed. The problem now is, her OBGYN will not see her unless we come up with over $600 for her next appointment. Is there anything we can do, I am 25 and a college student as well as her. We do not have $600 laying around and she needs these appointments as she is pregant with twins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know if you have a legal question or if you are just looking for suggestions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is by no means unusual, and it is entirely legal, for an insurance carrier to drop a dependent child from coverage when they reach a certain age. In most cases, they are dropped at age 19 UNLESS they are a full time student (VERY occasionally a part time student) and dropped permanently, regardless of student status, at age 23. Once in a whilea policy will keep someone until age 25, but most of the time it's 23. So no, there is nothing you can do about her being dropped from her mother's insurance.

Neither is there anything you can do about her being fired. Illinois is an at-will state, which means she can quit at any time and for any reason and she can be fired at any time and for any reason that does not specifically violate the law. No law prohibits them from firing her for a customer complaint, regardless of whether she walked on water before that.

I do have one minor concern. Tell me, when did she start working for Walgreens and when did she apply for their insurance?

racer72

Looks like it time to get one's priorities straight, a job at this time would be more benificial to both of you than being students. Or head to your local welfare office and find out if she qualifies for medical payment coupons.

rmet4nzkx

IL does have a medical plan for women and children available through the WIC office, she should apply for WIC also, I think you may have already applied for the medical part, she can ask that they expedite the medical because she is considered high risk because of twins, then go to the county for high risk care until her medcial is approved, They cannot turn her away. It sounds like the ob doesn't acccept the plan becuse 1 or 2 visits wouldn't cost $600. Even if she was still employed, her medical would have run out. She can apply for unemployment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">