• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPAA authorisation, what rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatMax

From RI:

Looking for any advice or people who have had experience with similar situation.
Because of unemployment I had to sign up for ST Health plan. Because of a new health issue I had to have some tests done. All were negative and my symptoms have vanished on their own. But now I have a claim with the ST health plan.

So the ST health insurance agency has sent a HIPAA authorization form for me to sign and asked me to provide them with a list of all the contact information and last 3 appointment dates on ALL my doctors, clinics, pharmacies, labs, that i have used in the last 5 years. the cover letter they sent alluded to the fact that not signing and not providing the information might cause a denial of my claim. Exact words "we will not be able to complete our processing of this claim without the requested information." However the authorisation says I may refuse to sign it but they "... may not be able to make a payment determination without the required information."

they are asking me to waive my privacy rights in order to give them permission to get "any and all information you have about me" from not only my health care providers but also Medical Information Bureau, consumer reporting agency and employers.

I know they are in the insurance business and want to eliminate high risks consumers but why do they need to contact employers and consumer reporting agencies? The form also makes it clear that information may be redisclosed by them at any time.

Ok, my question is, is this common practice? If I sign this have my privacy rights been waived away/violated? who are they able to "redisclose" information too? Can my doctors limit what information they give to them or do they have to give them ALL my records?

If they need just some pertinant information to make payment determinations, thats fine, but I don't see how the right to ALL the information on me is needed to make a determination and also after reading this, I don't feel comfortable about what happens to all my information if they "redisclose" it... will it get into the hands of telemarketers?

am I just being paranoid? should I just sign it and be done with it? what are my rights?
Thanks for any advice
Kat :confused:

Last edited:

ecmst12

Sounds like they are investigating whether you have any pre existing conditions. You know your options - if you don't sign, they won't pay. If you are worried about them releasing your info to other parties, voice your concerns, but that's doubtful. You'd have to explicitly consent to it.

KatMax

thanks for your reply.... so to me this form seems like a "blanket" authorization form. yes I think they are looking for pre-existing conditions... I have pre-existing conditions, but not that relate to the current health situation I had.

but I'm more concerned about my privacy....

WHen I return these forms could I write in my cover letter that I am concerned about my privacy and that in no way is the material they get to be released to any third parties without my written consent? do the doctors have to give them ALL the information on my or are they just looking for diagnosis codes, etc..

thanks!

ecmst12

If they have not explicitly stated your information can be shared with other parties, then you will not be consenting for them to do so if you sign. If you are concerned about the wording on the form, CALL THEM and ask questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">