• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to terminate my COBRA coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kate12

What is the name of your state? New York

I purchased a continuation coverage health insurance plan in Sept. (i.e COBRA) after my regular plan ran out. When purchasing, I had the option to purchase 3 mo, 6 mo, 9 mo or 12months of coverage. I selected 12 months and am DESPERATE to terminate this coverage at the end of this first 3 months. The company says they give no refunds, even though I am only asking for a refund on future coverage, not current or past coverage. Do I have any options or recourse at all or am I stuck?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you certain this is COBRA? From whom did you purchase this coverage?

kate12

Actually no it's not COBRA in the federal-law sense of the word. It is a "continuation plan" offered through the health insurance company that I was insured under as a graduate student (and I recently graduated).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That makes a GREAT deal of difference to the answer, Kate. If it were actually COBRA the answer would be very different.

Unless the plan specifically gives you the option of cancelling coverage and receiving a refund for unused coverage, you are stuck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">