• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Cancelled without offer of Cobra

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawn.hall

Ohio

In January of 2005 I was filing all kinds of necessary paper work to prove to my insurance company that I am a full time student so that I would continue to be covered under my mothers Insurance, which is paramount.

I completed the process succesfully and was thus happily insured. In late March I managed to break a meta tarcel in my hand by simply falling down on some cement.

I went to the emergency room a week later when my swelling hadn't gone down, and found out my hand was broken. They told me they do not fix hands there and gave me two names of hand doctors they suggest to go to based on me having Paramount Insurance. The doctors office I went to said I didn't have insurance with paramount. My mom called them and found out that they cancelled my insurance on my 22nd birthday which was february 23rd. So my policy read that they started coverage in January of 2005 and was ended February 23rd of 2005.

They told us that they don't have to notify us of loss of coverage, but they claim they did, and they also claim I was offered COBRA during that process. My parents and I are very responsible and I am also a Marine corps reservist, so I garantee that if we had any idea I was not insured we would have immediately pursued other options of insurance.

Do I have any legal standing here? This just seems wrong? My mother kept this plan just for the sake of its coverage on me. What can I do, I got my hand fixed because I didn't want it to heal broken and now I have 6000 dollars in medical bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">