• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance for Non-resident alien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moburkes

Um, Mo...what are you talking about??? The only one whose panties appear to be in a bunch here is you! You weren't kidding when you said you were cranky!

OP, yes maternity expenses are a valid use of an HSA. The plan that you found that covers maternity, how much more are the premiums then the others?

I would be suspicious of that Maternity Card program though...sounds like a potential scam. Try talking to a billing representative at a local hospital and see if you can find out what a typical delivery fee will be for a routine delivery with no complications. Also if there are any "birthing centers" in your area, they can be less expensive and also more comfortable and have more personal care then hospitals.
She deleted part of her post. It originally said:
Lastly, while I am very appreciative of all responses, I would appreciate posts being addressed to me, as opposed to discussing me.
Many thanks.
I am really thankful that I stumbled upon this forum.

FLMommy

I agree with ECM, that MaternityCard sounds like a total scam... 700 bucks just for their "service" and you have absolutely no guarantee they will actually be able to "negotiate" lowering your bill. Negotiating doesn't mean a thing.

If you're in a lower income bracket you might be able to qualify for gov. $ to cover some of your medical expenses for pregnancy - but again that depends on your state and what your husband makes.

Good luck!

arlington

MaternityCard

The following link is to an ABC news story on Maternity Card.
*Disclaimer: There is a semi-nude pregnant woman on the article, so please don't look if that makes you uncomfortable.

http://www.hoinews.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=3892

I am not certain which is the best way to go. It seems that maternity insurance does save around $4,000 if it is a $10,000 pregnancy - which is significant.
But then there is some wisdom in just paying it all to the hospital and letting your regular health coverage cover any life threatening issues for you and your child when/post-delivering since that is our main concern. (Even though there is no reason I should be high-risk).

I cannot be on medicaid as I am not a US resident. I mean, I could I guess, but my husband would have to pay it all back and we're not interested in considering that route.

I had not thought MaternityCard is a scam, but people are getting better at that nowadays..
Thanks!

ecmst12

Well you are married, once your legal status is established you'd certainly be able to get Medicaid, if you meet the income qualifications.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">