• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance for Non-resident alien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arlington

My change of immigration status from F-1 to spouse is currently being processed. In this period of limbo, I am having a hard time finding US insurance. Are there any reputable companies that offer insurance to nonUS residents or folks who have been residents for less than 12 months (that seems to be the minimum requirement).

Many thanks.

moburkes

You will definitely have a hard time finding this insurance policy. The only thing that you can do is keep calling the health insurance companies listed in the local yellow pages.

Betty

The ins. co. I worked for had the 12 month resident requirement & you had to have a job (or income of some type) for life or health ins. You can check the internet for companies to try & also keep trying (as suggested by moburkes) the companies listed in the yellow pages of the phone book. Good luck to you.

arlington

Thank you

We currently have a lead from one company, which if it proves correct I would be happy to share with anyone else in a similar situation.

However, the information on needing a job is good to know -
that makes it a little tougher as you cannot work until an EAD is granted.

Many thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You might also look for companies that provide short term (usually 3-6 months, renewable to 12 months) policies. We used to help employees here on work visas find such policies while we were waiting for their visas to be approved.

FLMommy

I replied to your thread on the Immigration forum also.

Have you tried to get on your husband's medical insurance policy? I was in the same situation you were, a few years ago, and had no problem getting on my husband's policy (through his employer). As far as I know they didn't even ask whether I was a citizen or not - they just wanted to know if I was his spouse, which was the only qualification for me to get on that insurance policy.

If your husband has a policy, please give it a try.

Betty

We currently have a lead from one company, which if it proves correct I would be happy to share with anyone else in a similar situation.

However, the information on needing a job is good to know -
that makes it a little tougher as you cannot work until an EAD is granted.

Many thanks.
Hi. The income requirement the co. I worked for had was to be sure the premiums could be paid & that the policy didn't lapse shortly after issue due to non-payment of premiums. They didn't want to go through the whole process of issuing a pol. & then have it lapse shortly after issue. If the spouse had an income we would sometimes consider that.
(cbg & FLMOMMY had good suggestions.)

Last edited:

arlington

Looking for Individual Insurance

He does have income as an independent contractor, so we are looking to buy an individual policy. We are going to pursue 2 of the companies we've spoken with - a factor for us is wanting maternity insurance, which seems to be a bit harder to secure...
I've looked into the short-term renewable "visitor's insurance" option, but their maternity coverage is limited to critical issues, not basic needs such as pre-natal, etc

Many thanks. I appreciate your responses.

FLMommy

You can have your husband get medical insurance and have you added as a dependant. Your pending application for AOS should not prevent you from getting medical insurance that way. As far as maternity - are you saying you're pregnant? Pregnancy as far as I know is usually not considered a pre-existing condition - so I am a little unsure as to why you're having such troubles getting someone to insure you. What companies have you tried so far and what is their reasoning for not wanting to insure you?

moburkes

Pregnant is NOT considered pre-existing. However, many individual policies do not cover maternity services, period. Many uninsured people would simply buy the policy for the maternity coverage, which would KILL the health insurance industry. The rates for individual policies would be so expensive that no one could afford them.

And since her husband is a contractor, he probably cannot get into a group policy.

ecmst12

There are policies that cover maternity, but they are expensive and all the ones I've heard of have a one year waiting period for maternity to be covered. I believe only employer sponsored health plans (under section 125) are forbidden from excluding maternity or having waiting periods for coverage. For a private plan though, it's going to make more sense to just save the money that you would have spent on premiums and put that towards the cost of the pregnancy. Unless you'd be high risk, it will cost less to pay out of pocket (and you can deduct health expenses from your taxes also).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And even if the husband were an employee, you can't just take the plan any time you feel like it. The very large majority of group health insurance plans these days are Section 125 plans, and on a 125 plan you can join ONLY at the initial eligibility period, during an open enrollment period, or when you have a bona fide "qualifying event" - marriage, birth, adoption, losing other coverage through no fault of your own.

It doesn't sound as if going on her husband's plan as a dependent is going to be a viable option.

arlington

Current plan of action

I am not currently pregnant, however, this is a hopeful future event for us.

So far we have been told the following by different insurance reps.

1. FLMommy is correct, the SSN number is what matters. So, I can be on his plan.
2. We will have to get an individual plan as he is an independent contractor.
3. Pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition when transfering on group plans. On individual plans, you must NOT be pregnant before you buy. BCBS is the only company we have found that does not have a 12 month waiting period before coverage kicks in.
4. I concur - it does seem wise that if you are NOT likely to face a high-risk pregnancy, one should just save up money and pay out-of-pocket. We found a company called MaternityCard and they are not an insurance company, however, they advocate for you and negotiate your large hospital bill and prenatal expenses for a $699 fee.

At this time it seems like the wise thing for us to do would be to put the equivalent of a high deductible in an HSA and start saving for a future maternity bill.
Unless someone is aware that money from HSAs cannot go towards maternity?

Many thanks.

moburkes

Arlington, everyone here has offered some type of advice to try to help you. I had to re-read the thread to figure out at what point we were discussing you instead of talking to you. The only time I saw someone "discussing you" was when I wrote:
And since her husband is a contractor, he probably cannot get into a group policy.
So, since I was SPEAKING TO SOMEONE ELSE when they suggested the group policy route, I was responding to THEM. That makes sense to me. I'm not sure why that doesn't make sense to you. It would not have made sense to tell YOU that your husband is a contractor, since, I would hope that you would be well aware of that already.

I'm not sure why people aren't allowed to have discussions in order to come to HELPFUL conclusions about what you should do. I don't understand why that would offend you. I'm inclined not to offer help to YOU if something so insignificant would get your panties in a bunch.

ecmst12

Um, Mo...what are you talking about??? The only one whose panties appear to be in a bunch here is you! You weren't kidding when you said you were cranky!

OP, yes maternity expenses are a valid use of an HSA. The plan that you found that covers maternity, how much more are the premiums then the others?

I would be suspicious of that Maternity Card program though...sounds like a potential scam. Try talking to a billing representative at a local hospital and see if you can find out what a typical delivery fee will be for a routine delivery with no complications. Also if there are any "birthing centers" in your area, they can be less expensive and also more comfortable and have more personal care then hospitals.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">