• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance payment deducted but insurance cancelled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deb draper

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
My job was downsized and I was told that I would no longer qualify for health insurance at the end of the current contract on August 26. However, my employer deducted insurance payments for the entire month of August and for the month of September. :confused: I am now being told that they will not cover the last days of August or September. Do they have to provide coverage for the months that they deducted for? I had told them in June that I could not afford COBRA.

somarco

It would appear you are either due a refund or coverage should be extended through September . . . but not both.

Deb draper

Are they obliged to do one or the other?

Thanks for getting back to me. I would prefer that they extend the coverage through September, I have already paid for it. Otherwise, I would expect that they have to give me a refund. Does anyone know which it would be?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law doesn't dictate which it will be. It will be up to them. Personally, I think it would be easier on all concerned to extend the coverage, but the law doesn't say they have to.

Deb draper

Thank you, I will persue this. Does anyone else have any suggestions for how to get them to extend the coverage to what I paid for?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You might want to keep in mind that the portion you are paying does not by any stretch represent the entire cost of the insurance. It is not impossible depending on the terms of the insurance contract, that in order to extend the coverage to the end of September you might owe additional payments; what you have already paid may not be sufficient for the entire month now that you are no longer employed. Before you try to force the issue in that direction, you might want to confirm the actual cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">