• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Transfer / Health Benefit Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

q4life

What is the name of your state? NY

I transferred jobs in Feb/06. Since the companies are owned by the same holding company my benefits were rolled over to my new company. I was told by the new company that I would have to pay a portion of my coverage bi-monthly. I informed them that at my previous employer used to pay for the employees medical premium and I never had to pay. I asked to waive my benefits since I am also under my husbands insurance and he doesnt have to pay either. The benefits department hasn't changed this as of yet saying that the legal department is deciding whether or not this is possible. This is upsetting because I am being deducted about $150 a month for medical that I don't need and haven't used. The Benefits dept never gave me any options. I am also very upset because I feel I shouldnt be forced to pay for what I don't need and I feel that I should have been given the option to waive my benefits or reduce them since I never had to pay before. The smaller paycheck is affecting my bills and this has been in review for a month. Can someone please advise. Thanks.:mad:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fact that your previous employer paid the premium in full does not obligate your new employer to do so. Very few employers these days can afford the luxury of allowing their employees free insurance. It is unreasonable of you to expect it.

Depending on your state law, they MAY (not WILL, MAY) have to allow you to waive coverage if you can provide proof that you are covered elsewhere. But as I understand it, they have not yet denied you the ability to waive, they have only said they are looking into it. Before you start talking legal action, why don't you wait and see what they say?

q4life

You're right. My new employer doesnt have to pay for it and as a matter of fact on their benefit wbsite it states that medical subsidies from a previous employer is a qualified reason for enrollment changes including worksite changes. Since they have not been able to waive my medical and change it to what I really needed which was dental and vision for me and my kids can I sue them for out of pocket expenses incurrred? or unueccessary wait time since this is written clearly on their website? I've had to get glasses for my kids and have spent over $500 not to mention the $160 that is taken out of my paycheck. This has been extremely frustrating and unfair.:(

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you can't sue them for out of pocket expenses. Just because you need dental and vision care coverage does not obligate them to provide them.

You have perhaps one of the worst cases of the "entitlement" mentality I have ever had the misfortune to come across, and that's saying something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">