• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kid's Insurance Records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My husband's ex-wife just petitioned the court to carry his kid's health insurance. They are now on their stepfather's plan. We have the ID cards with the plan information. Does my husband have any right to access the kids records if they are on the stepfather's plan? We have no other way of knowing if the kids went to the doctor unles she can somehow get the information through their health insurance provider.

His ex-wife has legal custody but there is nothing in his decree that prevents him from having access to records.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
difficult3 said:
My husband's ex-wife just petitioned the court to carry his kid's health insurance. They are now on their stepfather's plan. We have the ID cards with the plan information. Does my husband have any right to access the kids records if they are on the stepfather's plan? We have no other way of knowing if the kids went to the doctor unles she can somehow get the information through their health insurance provider.

His ex-wife has legal custody but there is nothing in his decree that prevents him from having access to records.
He should be entitled to the kid's records under HIPPA as long as the decree doesn't prevent him access and he has some custody of the kids.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the question, but this is one of my hot buttons.

It's not HIPPA. It's HIPAA: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
cbg said:
Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the question, but this is one of my hot buttons.

It's not HIPPA. It's HIPAA: Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
Sorry. Was thinking of when I take my daughter to the zoo and we look at Hippos. :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're by no means the only one. Blame it on the English major in me. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">