• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of Employer Withholdings not going to Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ronguy

What is the name of your state? KS

My employer has been withholding $60+ a month from my salary for coverage in a Dental Insurance plan. I just found out that our plan was cancelled 6 months ago and the employer never told us. I also understand that this cancellation was due to some mishandling by the employer. They have been collecting the $60+ a month since the policy was cancelled. In the months since it was cancelled, people, obviously, have been having problems with their claims. When they brought the problem to the employer, the employer would say "we are having problems with our insurance" and then would "take care of" the bill. It was never explained to the employees that the policy was cancelled. I have made no claims yet have been paying for the last six months for insurance I don't have. Is this legal for an employer to do? If not, what should I do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it is not. Your employer either needs to get the insurance fixed (not likely after six months, but depending on specifical details not necessarily impossible) or repay you the money that has been collected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">