• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid Eligibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akhanmac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My father is receiving home care via medicaid from Virginia. He does have to pay a co-pay.

If i move into the house but do not keep any financial connection to my father will this ensure to keep him eligible for his medicaid benefits? Do i need to notify the state?

My father used to rent out part of the house and so he has electric and gas meters installed so that i can keep my utility usage tracked and pay my portion, as for the water I can look at the past months bills to determine how much im using and again keep track of the usage.

I dont give rent, he doesn't doesn't collect any financial assistance from me.

Thanks for your help

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My father is receiving home care via medicaid from Virginia. He does have to pay a co-pay.

If i move into the house but do not keep any financial connection to my father will this ensure to keep him eligible for his medicaid benefits? Do i need to notify the state?

My father used to rent out part of the house and so he has electric and gas meters installed so that i can keep my utility usage tracked and pay my portion, as for the water I can look at the past months bills to determine how much im using and again keep track of the usage.

I dont give rent, he doesn't doesn't collect any financial assistance from me.

Thanks for your help
So who pays for your food? How much did he rent out that unit for in the past?

akhanmac

So who pays for your food? How much did he rent out that unit for in the past?
i pay for my own groceries and food, the front unit has a fridge and complete separate living spaces. there is door upstairs which is the only means of connecting the front and back portions of the house

In the past they used to get about 875 in rent and at times the tenants would be forgiven of rent. We tried collecting utilities but that wasn't consistent. I know this because I administrated the tenants along with my father.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i pay for my own groceries and food, the front unit has a fridge and complete separate living spaces. there is door upstairs which is the only means of connecting the front and back portions of the house

In the past they used to get about 875 in rent and at times the tenants would be forgiven of rent. We tried collecting utilities but that wasn't consistent. I know this because I administrated the tenants along with my father.
So the apartment is worth $875 a month and that could be counted as your income. How much other money do you earn?

akhanmac

So the apartment is worth $875 a month and that could be counted as your income. How much other money do you earn?
i make about 75k a year. so if the 875 is counted towards my income (although no one is actually exchanging any monies) will this again effect his eligibility?
sorry if im jumping ahead

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i make about 75k a year. so if the 875 is counted towards my income (although no one is actually exchanging any monies) will this again effect his eligibility?
I read that wrong. I read that You wanted Medicaid. My apologies for the misread. It could be counted against him. How long before he is medicare eligible?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why won't you be paying rent?

akhanmac

I read that wrong. I read that You wanted Medicaid. My apologies for the misread. It could be counted against him. How long before he is medicare eligible?
sorry he already has medicaid, my question was that if i move in, and i dont keep any financial relationship with my father ie give or take any monies will that effect his eligibility for medicaid that he has already been approved for.

akhanmac

Why won't you be paying rent?
because there is no one administrating the house and his financial affairs.

I was there before i moved out and since no one is home taking care of him other than what medicaid provides via a caretaker i want to provide some care for him when i can.

the part of the house that was rented in the past has been empty and so if i move back in i want to cover my end of utilities, im not trying to be a burden on him but rather one child who wants to stay close by till his final hours.

Zigner

because there is no one administrating the house and his financial affairs.

I was there before i moved out and since no one is home taking care of him other than what medicaid provides via a caretaker i want to provide some care for him when i can.

the part of the house that was rented in the past has been empty and so if i move back in i want to cover my end of utilities, im not trying to be a burden on him but rather one child who wants to stay close by till his final hours.
You should be paying market-rent for the space you occupy.

akhanmac

You should be paying market-rent for the space you occupy.
ok this is off topic
what i pay for rent is not the subject here
my living arrangement's and their impact on his eligibility are the subject
the fact that i live there with no financial connection and how it impacts my fathers eligibility to medicaid is the question

if you can help with that great
if not move along

Zigner

ok this is off topic
what i pay for rent is not the subject here
my living arrangement's and their impact on his eligibility are the subject
the fact that i live there with no financial connection and how it impacts my fathers eligibility to medicaid is the question

if you can help with that great
if not move along
The two are intertwined. You are trying to game the system.

ETA: The other possibility is that you are taking advantage of your father by living there rent free. Great for you, right?

LdiJ

The two are intertwined. You are trying to game the system.

ETA: The other possibility is that you are taking advantage of your father by living there rent free. Great for you, right?
I really disagree Zig.

He is not moving in for the free rent. He is moving in, in order to be a caregiver for his parent. I don't see any attempt to game the system or to take advantage of his father. It is not at all unusual for adult children to move in with a parent in order to provide caregiving, or to move a parent in with them in order to provide caregiving.

Zigner

I really disagree Zig.

He is not moving in for the free rent. He is moving in, in order to be a caregiver for his parent. I don't see any attempt to game the system or to take advantage of his father. It is not at all unusual for adult children to move in with a parent in order to provide caregiving, or to move a parent in with them in order to provide caregiving.
The OP wants to move in to an apartment attached to the house that is worth $875 per month.

Why doesn't the OP actually move in to the same unit that the father is in so the father can continue to rent out the apartment in question?

ecmst12

Medicaid eligibility is based on household income. If you are living there and not paying rent, then you are part of his household and your income counts. If you don't want to be part of his household, then you should be living there as a tenant and paying market rent, which will count towards his income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">