• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Help For Father On SSDI ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RochesterBecky

Proper Advice

Hi Kari,

You probably already figured this out, BUT, spending down is not what you were told. "spend-downs" are implemented by the FIA (Michigan) based on income of the Medicaid recipient. Essentially, a spend-down must be met before the State picks up the tab. It imposes great anxiety on disabled people in need of medical help. (Its not called a spin-down either as you were told)
Through SSDI your father is eligible for Medicaid immediately, its Medicare that is on hold.
Hope that helps..........
Becky

tigger22472

I hadn't seen this thread in a while so I double checked what was said. My definition of a 'spin-down' which is what it's been refered to here in Indiana (and I did put quotes around it to indicate that's what I've heard it called) was that you have to pay X amount of money each month before medicaid will pay. However, the other definition given that I didn't see wasn't the correct definition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">